Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

You can't have this much fun with a cat.

To begin with, LeeRoy (chocolate lab) has been a thief for I don't know how long. He is so sneaky... I can simply turn my back in the middle of making a sandwich (like, for instance when the buzzer on the drier goes off) and he has that sandwich quicker than you can say "Didn't I have a sandwich here somewhere?" (The drier mind you is only about 10 feet from the counter.) The dog is shameless.

Now, I can't take credit for this, I am not so clever. But here's what I did:

I took about 6' of dental floss. 2 empty cereal boxes. 1 empty oatmeal box, and about 4 little bitty (maybe 3 oz) tupperware boxes. In each of these items I placed about 6 to 12 dried pinto beans (just to make more noise). I taped the floss to each item. Then I took a wholewheat tortilla (LeeRoy's particular favorite), slathered it with crunchy peanut butter and folded it over the middle of the string and set it on the edge of the counter. Then I left the room. It took about 90 seconds before everything crashed to the ground. So I set it all up there again. Left the room. This time it took about 2 and a half minutes. Crash! Both times I went in there with my disapproving voice saying.... "Ooooooh, LeeRoy. What. Have. You. Done!!!!!"

Now, this is what is funny (to me, anyway, but I'm easily amused.) LeeRoy is hubby's dog. Though I train my two black labs, LeeRoy is the house lab. He's hubby's buddy. LeeRoy won't ordinarily give me the time of day.

I've been ill, so after I set it up the third time, I go to the couch and crank up my nebulizer (this virus has kicked me into asthma.) and am just watching TV inhaling my DuoNeb. All of a sudden, there is this drooley muzzle thorking my arm begging me to get up. You know he still wants that peanut butter tortilla, but he isn't going to risk taking it.

Anyway... that's about the most excitement I've had today.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

Meeps83 (07-19-2015)

Best Friend Retriever SoapySophie's Avatar
    Hahahahaha...ohhhh that is so awesome. Hope you feel better soon.
    Sophie: Born July 28, 2014
    Hidden Content

Too funny... Hope you feel better soon!
    Hidden Content Meet Jade...

I vote Leroy should get his peanut butter/tortilla sandwich for learning so quickly! (Just in case it matters!)
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Yesterday LeeRoy ate a package of 8 tortillas AND a package of Sargento baby swiss sliced cheese. NO... he can learn to make his own sandwich from now on. Stop stealing mine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

Meeps83 (07-19-2015)

Real Retriever
    LeeRoy sounds like a handful! I wouldn't be surprised if he did learn how to make his own sandwich...

He's not stealing, he foraging!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

MikeLynn (07-17-2015)

Got him again!!!

This time I just used thread, not dental floss (which is mint flavor. Figured he would associate that smell with the catastrophe.) Then I put the whole booby trap aparatus in another section of the kitchen. And this time I used a stick of mozzarella in place of the peanut butter tortilla.

He fell for it.

So we'll just keep this up until he learns that stealing food is a bad thing to do.

Of COARSE, labradors will be food thieves. They will all be bad about it. But LeeRoy is compulsive. I have 2 black girls and they MIGHT go for any goodies that are left unsupervised. But they have nothing on LeeRoy.

Poor LeeRoy!!!

If nothing else, Leroy is persistent. That should count for something.

Start watching Food Network Leroy. It will teach you how to silently fix your own snack.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos