Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

9 week old puppy with nighttime diarrhea

Hello...need some help here. Our puppy is 9 weeks old and just started getting diarrhea overnight only. We have had him for a few weeks now, he is eating Blue Buffalo large breed puppy since we got him, and has never had this issue. For the last 3 nights, he has woken up between 2-4x per night with it. Thankfully he makes it out, but this has made for a tired puppy mom and dad. He hasn't eaten any new foods or treats. We have been socializing him with other dogs (all of whom are up to date on shots) and family and friends. He hasn't been fed any new treats or had changes in diet. We had been giving him boiled chicken as "special" treats when he would go outside to #1 and #2, but stopped a day or two ago when this started. He has always chewed the grass, and seems to enjoy gnawing on our rose brush branches (trying to stop that, too).

During the day, he goes #2 and its totally solid, as it had been, but overnight, he whines to go out and runs out the door to go. He isn't lethargic, he still loves to eat and play, drinks plenty of water, but this has just popped up. We have a scheduled vet appointment for two days from now, and our vet isn't available until then (office is closed today-just our luck). I am definitely going to call again right in the morning, but anyone have an idea of how I can make sure he is okay tonight? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Has the vet checked for coccidian or giardia?

Puppy
    Vet is closed today. Last sample was clear. Going tomorrow. For now going to give him some pumpkin.

How much, and how often are you feeding? I would think with the intermittent nature of the soft poo he can't process the amount of food going in. I'd also hold off on the pumpkin, it's very high in fiber and will soften the poo, which is what you are trying to prevent.

Every time my dogs get diarrhea I add a little chicken broth and white rice to their kibble. But I also reduce the amount of kibble I give them.

I hope your puppy gets better.
    Hidden Content
    Leeloo 4/12/04 - 12/29/18
    Happy Adopted December 8, 2013 (at 6/7 years old) - 01/03/19
    Max. 4/12/04 - 9/25/17

Puppy
    He's been on this amount of food for over two weeks and never had a problem. This just started Sunday night. Continued again last night-3x diarrhea, once didn't make it out of crate. We feed him 3x a day, 1/2 c. each meal. I only gave him a tablespoon at lunch and dinner and took out a tablespoon of food. The recommended amount for a dog his size (he is approx. 10-12 lbs.) is 1 c.-1 3/4 c. daily.

Puppy
    He only went #2 twice during the day yesterday and that wasn't until after he ate dinner which is extremely unusual for him. The vet opens at 9am, so I will be calling right away to get him in.

Thanks, luvleeloo. I will see what the vet recommends and may use that as a bland diet for the time being.

You are certainly not feeding too much (I'd almost say you are feeding kind of too little!)...giardia is hard to find in stool samples...sometimes they need to do a send away test.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Maxx&Emma (07-16-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    You are certainly not feeding too much (I'd almost say you are feeding kind of too little!)...giardia is hard to find in stool samples...sometimes they need to do a send away test.
    I thought the same thing regarding the amount of food. 10-12 lbs is tiny for a Lab puppy at that age.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Puppy
    Like I said I am estimating. He was 8 lbs 6 oz. at his checkup 2.5 weeks ago, so I am probably low on my estimate. We have an appointment today so hopefully we get this sorted out!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos