Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

Opinion on sending pup to a trainer

For you hunt test and field trialers out there... I would have posted this on RTF but the trainer is on that forum so I opted from doing that. Anywho... Boomer is going to be 6mo August 27 and my september is packed with a 10 day elk hunt in WY and then a wedding the week after, so I'm gone 3 weekends in a row. I was just going to send Boomer to my parents but I'm worried about him regressing because he'll get zero training. My bud brought it up to me about sending him to a trainer. I contacted a trainer that a lot of people go to in our club and he said he could take the pup but it was a 2mo minimum because he'd have to collar condition him then force fetch him. I was going to send him to him in september, get boomer back for a month then send him again in november.

Is this too tough on a pup to be away from an owner for that long? I'm hesitant on doing FF on my own with my first dog so that's why I'm thinking about sending him away.

Thanks!
    T.J.
    Last edited by teej89; 07-21-2015 at 10:36 AM.

My friend sent our co-owned dog to a trainer for a month, and he did just fine. You'll miss him but the dogs typically adapt really well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

teej89 (07-21-2015)

It really is a personal choice. We chose to train Bacon on our own, with the help of our local lab club. I know people who have trained on their own, and those who sent them to a professional trainer. It really is personal preference. We decided that we wanted to have all the time with him, to help create a stronger bond, plus we were training ourselves in the process.

ETA: FF can be done on your own. We did it, and it worked great! Get some books, talk to some experts and you can do it!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

teej89 (07-21-2015)

House Broken
    Yeah I would want to do it myself but I'm just hesitant with this being my first test dog, I'll do it with the next one. And if he's going to be away for me for a month in september b/c of other obligations I figured I may as well send him to get trained. Instead of going home to his grandparents and coming back full of treats, no training, and bad habits lol

Senior Dog
    I send my pups to a trainer for the FF because I want it done properly. My last pup went as soon as she had her second teeth and was with the pro for 3 months. In that time she was FF'ed and collar conditioned. I brought her home the first of November and was able to work with her up until about Christmas outdoors doing the drills the pro recommended. Our winter was bitterly cold so from Jan to Apr work was sporadic in an indoor arena. I sent her back to the pro the end of April for the swim-by. As to it being tough on the pup, it was tougher on me. She loved being with Don because she got to work everyday. Her attitude was positive when I was there and she had no problem being left. Now that she is home we have a program to work on and I can see where the training is paying off.
    The one thing I advise is know your pro and know his/her programme. I put my full trust in my pro as our first dog went to his father and Bill trained Don. I know their programme and can pick up the phone at any time if I run into a problem or need some advice. Don is coming to stay for 3 days in August to do a training workshop for the club. As I say it is usually harder on you than the dog. My dogs are my constant companion, this one is small enough to sit on my knee for a belly rub. We call going to the pro going to boot camp but it sure has never hurt any of our dogs.

I've had pup owners do similar very successfully. Your pup will be fine as long as the trainer is all you think he is and as long as your pup is mentally mature enough to get started.

2 mos is pretty much the minimum time frame to get anything much accomplished. If he is going to be your one and only pup for awhile, I'd have him do the FF. It'd probably take you far longer, and most people don't do near as good of a job when doing it their first time. Anne
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

House Broken
    Awesome thanks so much guys! Yeah I really don't want to botch the FF nor do I want him being a couch potato at my parents place. I think I'm going to go thru with sending him away to the trainer. And I won't feel bad going hunting without him this fall lol

Ditto to all of the above. I don't think labs are that stressed out by being in boot camp. They are such an adaptable breed. It would hurt my feelings that she is so thrilled to go to the pro's kennel, (You mean I get ducks EVERY DAY???!!! See ya' later mom.) except that she is so crazy happy whenever she sees me. So it all evens out.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (07-22-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by TuMicks View Post
    Ditto to all of the above. I don't think labs are that stressed out by being in boot camp. They are such an adaptable breed. It would hurt my feelings that she is so thrilled to go to the pro's kennel, (You mean I get ducks EVERY DAY???!!! See ya' later mom.) except that she is so crazy happy whenever she sees me. So it all evens out.
    Just wanted to respond to this because we did board our dog with a trainer, not for as long as the OP is considering, and she did get stressed out. It was the first time she had ever been kenneled outside and when we got her back, the tops of her feet and her snout had spots that had been rubbed raw. Not saying you shouldn't do it, just something to think about.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

BaconsMom (07-22-2015)

I could never do this, regardless of what kind of training it was. I enjoy working with my dogs and I don't think you can beat the bond that develops, JMHO.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

BaconsMom (07-22-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos