House Broken

How to raise a dog in apartment

Hi, we used to have our puppy go potty on pee-pee pads in our balcony because we live in an apartment at the 3rd floor. Now she is 8-month and we have to use a whole new pad for her every time she goes. Also recently we found her reluctant to go potty on the pad anymore. She is able to go potty on both pads and grass. We do not mind taking her downstairs to go on the grass at all. But we worry that claiming stars everyday for 3-4 times will hurt her hips. We always worry about anything that can potentially trigger hip dysplasia. We know it largely depends on genetics but appropriate precautions is also necessary.

So any opinion on this. Should we insist to have her use pads in balcony or let her climb stairs to go potty on grass? Thank you!

At that age, I'd let her go outside on the grass! I would keep her on a leash when you're taking the stairs so she isn't racing up and down or jumping a few stairs down to the landing. I think controlled stair walking shouldn't be a problem.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (07-21-2015), Charlotte K. (07-21-2015), Snowshoe (07-22-2015)

Ditto the above! Walking calmly down the steps will not cause harm at all and no more messes for you to clean up, huge bonus!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (07-21-2015)

There is nothing wrong with going up and down stairs at a normal pace. I raised Zoey in an upstairs apartment until she was 2 and we were up and down multiple times a day. She is 6 ow and no hip/joint issues

House Broken
    Thank you so much for everyone's replay above. This definitely eased my worry a lot. I am still trying to carry her up and down every time we go out. She is too heavy to be carried any more...

Your back will be VERY happy!!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I wouldn't worry about the steps at that age. Apartment dogs need to be walked 2-3 times at least and make sure she gets plenty of exercise! Cookie is a dog raised and living in an apartment and he has been doing great for 9 years.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

I had a friend that found out when his dog was still quite a young adult that it was dysplastic. They vet recommended walking hills on lead to build the back end musculature. It is the muscles around the hip, pelvis and lower spine that help keep those hip sockets aligned. By all means work on walking calmly up and down stairs for two reasons: One, it's not harmful and probably helpful for pup to build up those hind quarters and two: for your safety, you don't want to be dragged up and (even more importantly) down those stairs. You don't want to break a hip or hurt your lower back!!!

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by TuMicks View Post
    I had a friend that found out when his dog was still quite a young adult that it was dysplastic. They vet recommended walking hills on lead to build the back end musculature. It is the muscles around the hip, pelvis and lower spine that help keep those hip sockets aligned. By all means work on walking calmly up and down stairs for two reasons: One, it's not harmful and probably helpful for pup to build up those hind quarters and two: for your safety, you don't want to be dragged up and (even more importantly) down those stairs. You don't want to break a hip or hurt your lower back!!!
    Thank you! This is very helpful information!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos