Tylan powder = perfect poop

We were out of town for Memorial Day weekend so Archie stayed at his doggie daycare facility. When he came home his poop was very soft, which is not unexpected. I had ordered some Tylan powder from Amazon to have on hand after reading about it here. I did 1/8 tsp in his food morning and evening, and OMG, he has the most perfect poop he's ever had. So now I'm not sure what to do. His poop has always been just over the edge of okay (except for the two bouts of giardia!). He eats Fromm Gold. I guess I'll wean off the Tylan and see what happens? I don't want to keep him on an abx long term, I don't think. Should I take him into the vet and see what she thinks?
    -e

I would drop off a fecal to the vet, he could have picked up something at day care. I doubt he actually needs an exam though. I suppose if you think he is sick you could monitor his temp. I would guess the soft poop is just from all the excitement, maybe different water, etc.

I would wonder, if his poops aren't usually great, if the food isn't really working for him? Usually the stool is a good indicator of how well the food is being used by the body.

I would wean off the Tylan but certainly keep it on hand for future use.
    Charlie and Burton

Yeah, I was reluctant to get on the food carousel, but if it would make a difference I certainly would. I wish I knew more what Tylan actually DOES. Like, would it be helping if Archie has a food allergy? Or if he has parasites/worms? (And yes, I'll definitely run a fecal over to the vet if his poop gets bad again.)

This webpage gives some good detail on what Tylan does.

Treating Canine Diarrhea With Tylan

I don't blame you, I wouldn't want to go on the food roller coaster either. Maybe do some research and see what food might work best for you and Archie? Charlie always had the best poops on Nature's Logic, but I know everyone's dogs are different. A lot of breeders recommend the Pro Plan Sport 30/20, which Burton was on when he came to us and his poops were good on that.

I am sure the Tylan does help if he has worms, to restore the gut by boosting the immunity in the intestines. But of course you will also need a de wormer if that is the case.

I think just a general digestive enzyme would be something you could add to Archies food to help aid in digestion.
    Charlie and Burton

I would definitely talk to a vet about this. Although tylan powder is very safe I would only use it under a vet's supervision. Niner has somewhat soft stools. The vet prescribed tylan powder to him for 4 weeks. It didn't really help, but the vet did mention that if it did she does have dogs on it long term. However I think I would be inclined to try a food change before resorting to tylan powder long term. We actually use Fortiflora now (just once a day, but pricey) and it has done wonders.

Nancy

Bandit had a bout of giardia not long after he joined us. After going to the vet and doing what she said, the breeder suggested Tylan powder. What a change! Only used it for a short period of time and it certainly worked.

I am never without Tylan powder. I have a container in the van when I travel with the dogs. Great stuff!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos