Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    House Broken

MOJO for Maggie please

hi all... need some good vibes
    last night maggie wouldn't get into bed with us, which is strange. BUT occasionally if she's hot she won't so we didnt think too much of it.
    then when i woke up this morning she wasn't in bed either, which is REALLY strange, and she didn't run over to greet me. she laid next to the bed and i pet her belly and i wasn't really awake enough to realize something was up. then i went to the bathroom and i didn't have my shadow. ok. something's up. i call out her name and she's not coming. now i'm panicking. finally she pokes her head out of the bedroom door and stares me. refusing to walk.
    "ok" i say "i guess i'm calling out today."
    i get up and walk toward her to pet her and she runs down the stairs to go out.
    hmmm.
    maybe i'm crazy???
    i let her out and she refuses to pee. she sits on my foot and stares up at me, refusing to venture into the yard. not good.
    i let everyone back in and feed everyone. she eats, thank god. while she's eating i run upstairs and wake my husband. we both come back down and lay on the floor with her. she lets me probe gently at her legs and nothing seems wrong. when she goes to rise she hesitates like her back legs- more right maybe?- is bugging her. she goes to the door. we let her out and she runs down the stairs fine. goes outside to pee. the neighbor dog runs over and maggie tries to play. i stop her. tell her to go inside, and then she refuses to go up the steps. very very tentative on back legs. i'm thinking about carrying her when she then walks up on her own. not limping, just sort of... lame. stumbling. uncomfortable.
    i'm baffled but panicking. hubby is starting to tear up.
    we both call out of work and decide to go to the regular vet when they open at 9 and hope they can take her. they do.
    her CCL's looks good. night and tight, no looseness. i'm both relieved and more baffled/worried.i was convnced that's what it was. she wouldnt get up to see the techs/vet, let alone try to jump on them. very very very VERY un-maggie.
    lyme is negative, but it was 3 years ago when she had a weird bout of lameness and lethargy (not like this... more of a "just not herself") they diagnosed her then with "probably some other tick bourn illness" put her on doxy and she was a new dog in 12 hours.
    is this the same thing?
    vet is wonderful. gives her a very very very thorough exam.
    we debate between doing a round of doxy and seeing what happens, or doing x rays. hubby and i are paranoid enough that we want x rays. she says this makes sense anyway just because she's a big ole lab on unknown lines and it never hurts to get a look at her hips.
    so they will do knee/hip x rays under sedation and we'll go from there. hopefully those are all negative and we go with the doxy and she's back to herself tomorrow.
    trying not to freak. so hard to see her uncomfortable and not know what's wrong. bone cancer is lodged in my brain (since im a paranoid dog mom) so i'm glad we're getting x rays.
    leaving her there was so hard. we cried the whole way out to the car. she didn't want to go with the techs which was unlike her. i felt so horrible.
    anxiously waiting a phone call. i miss my baby. the house is so quiet. lincoln is so confused. i miss my girl.
    i know i'm overeacting. i just hate not knowing what's wrong. shes so darn stoic too.
    please send good thoughts

What kind of bloodwork did they do to rule out Lyme or other tick diseases? If they just did a SNAP, might be worth getting a more thorough test ran….there are a few different ones out there. The one that I get every year for mine is by IDEXX, a tick panel with Lyme C6 Quantitative Analysis. It measures titers for Lyme, Ehrlichia, and RMSF. And sometimes those can come back negative, but if the symptoms match and there is exposure to ticks, some vets will give doxy based on the symptoms, and the dog will improve.

Sending good thoughts for Maggie, keep us posted on her! When I had to leave Tux at the vet’s last summer for xrays, I was a nervous wreck until he was back with me.

House Broken
    thanks
    i just called for an update since i hadn't heard. she's just coming out of sedation now.
    bones all looked good, but she definitely has dysplasia we had a feeling when we adopted her from the shelter, so it's not suprising but it is sad she said that the dysplasia isn't THAT bad but that she is already seeing some arthritic changes in the left. shes guessing that she tweaked it somehow and that made it flare up. the plan is to put her on an anti inflammatory and some pain meds for about 5 days. if she still has symptoms after that we will try a course of doxy, but based on her x ray the vet wasn't surprised that she is having a flare up

so we will go this route, assume that's what it is, and get her started on some good supplements too. she's only 5 so i'm glad we're catching it now and will get on top of this.

i just can't wait to get her home.

Glad to see you have at least some answers to the problem. Although you'd rather there not be any problems of course; at least this is something that you can treat and supplement for fairly well. Hope Maggie improves quickly.

Mojo sent for Maggie and you!!

Poor Maggie and poor you! Good thoughts sent.

Oh, poor girl. Sending good thoughts your way. Mild dysplasia and arthritis are manageable.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

House Broken
    Lots of good thoughts for your sweet baby. I am going through something similar with my Sadie Mae. I am giving her supplements, Deremax and Tramadol for the joint issues. I also started her in swimming therapy three weeks ago. She only goes once a week, though.

Sending mojo for Maggie and her pack hoping you find the right solution to her problems. You weren't overreacting, you were just worried and I'd have felt the same way. Hip arthritis is manageable we had to deal with it for more than a year with Lynn and it was no tragedy. Fingers crossed and take care. M&M
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Tux’s xrays from last summer also indicated hip dysplasia, and some arthritic changes. However I then took him to an ortho vet, and she did not agree with my regular vet that his dysplasia was all that bad. He is on joint supplements from Springtime. I know that after the xrays, Tux was in pain. The way they have to position them for hip xrays can cause that. My vet gave him a pain killer

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos