Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pro Plan Naturals?

Hello, So I am going to stick with what the breeder feeds (Pro Plan Puppy CH & Rice) but what about the Naturals line? Pro Plan Naturals Ch. & Br. Rice, it is an all stages food. Is that better than the regular pro plan ch. and rice because it is "natural"?
    I want to give him the better one of course...any one with any experience?
    thanks!

With labs, best to stay away from the shreds variety, but otherwise, ANY Pro Plan is fine.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (07-30-2015), Charlotte K. (07-30-2015), Itstangy (07-30-2015), Nancy0 (07-30-2015)

Gonna go with the PP Naturals Ch. & Br. Rice! thanks!

Just an FYI- Any food brand can stick "natural" on their package, it doesn't necessarily mean anything. I would check and see what makes them different?
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    —Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoopsaDaisy For This Useful Post:

Itstangy (07-31-2015)

I notice that per ingredients the naturals line has no corn or wheat but has oats and rice? Also instead of animal by products listed, it lists chicken meal (so chicken by products?). The analysis are similar, but the natural lines has added probiotics and other vit./minerals that the regular one doesn't have. I went with the naturals and also since it is an all life stages food, I can have my 12 yr old see if she likes it (she is on BB wild grain free).
    Can a pup go from grain free to a formula with grain? Or once they go grain free they will have to stick with it?
    My 12 yr old is very picky, she will not eat just kibble. I have to entice her with fill ins like cheese, steamed/boiled meats, cut up veggies, etc. If she doesn't have fill ins. she just won't eat. She is so stubborn that I refused to give her fill ins and held out hoping that she would eat the kibble and she didn't eat for 2 days and vomited out yellow liquid! I had to give in =(

chicken meal is chicken meat processed into meal. NAMED meat by products, like chicken by products actually isn't as bad as the food elitists make it sound to be...it's parts of the chicken that's not necessarily "meat" but if the dog were eat raw, they might be eating these parts too like skin, feet, cartilage... It's often where the natural glucosamine comes from.

Dogs can go back and forth between grain and grain free foods unless they have grain issues. For some reason, oats and rice aren't viewed as bad as corn and wheat.

Adding toppers isn't BAD. We always give ours a spoon of canned food or healthy left overs from our meals. My puppies get toppers as well as my seniors.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Itstangy (07-31-2015)

Thanks!! I actually feel adding toppings gives them a little extra nutrition so I like to put it in. But I'm guilty...I get lazy =( If I'm running late I'd like to be able to just pour out the kibble and not worry about her not eating it.
    I add a spoon full of plain greek yogurt into her breakfast, but after 2 days of doing so she doesn't want it anymore and won't touch her breakfast. She likes to have variety I suppose!! No leftover meats that have been in the fridge for over a day either..somehow she smells the difference...

Warm up the leftovers. I turn my nose up at cold meats from the fridge after a day or so too. They have lots of different canned food too, just meats, regular dog food, good brands with good ingredients. You might want to look at those.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Itstangy (07-31-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post

Dogs can go back and forth between grain and grain free foods unless they have grain issues. For some reason, oats and rice aren't viewed as bad as corn and wheat.
    Agree with the above. Rice and oats are fine, as long as it's not the main ingredient. Why corn and wheat are so bad, is one, corn is often the first ingredient in some feeds, taking away from the meat the dogs need, and wheat has its own issues with allergies. Also, corn (especially) is more prone to being contaminated with aflatoxins. And just as importantly, you cannot get corn products that are NOT GMO and thus laden with herbicides.

About toppers. Jen is correct on that too. There are some great canned foods out there that I add as a topper to mine. I personally buy Dave's 95% beef, chicken or turkey, and sometimes Tripett (dogs love it, I don't hahaha). If you're in a bind, need something at the grocery store, Newman's Own makes a good line of canned food. I buy it if I run out and the local pet food store is closed.

Also, add a bit of warm water to the dry food. It brings out the scent, and adds much needed moisture to the product.
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue For This Useful Post:

Itstangy (07-31-2015)

Ditto! I have a hot water boiler and I pour the hot water onto the cold meat from the fridge to warm it up..so it is warm, she still won't touch it. Picky girl. I've tried Tripett, smells gross I almost puked...she ate it the first time, won't have any of it the next. smh...

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos