What Could This Life Ending Ailment Be?

I don't know the breed of the dog but it was brown, about 18" tall with short floppy ears and smooth haired. It had been taken to another vet with a white rash around its mouth and over its body. The owner wasn't satisfied with the diagnosis or treatment so took it to my vet. Straight away the vet said it was something associated with that breed and it was rife in America but no known cases were here. It had to be put to sleep because of the excrutiating pain it was in.
    This is a quote from a U.K. board I go on and I'm really curious what this could be. Breed? Ailment? I'm posting here instead of health as it doesn't seem the breed would be a Lab. Anybody know or want to guess?

No clue. Doesn't sound like anything I have heard of. I want to say Puppy Strangles but I think that happens to dogs world-wide, and to puppies, not adults.

Could have been one of those "smarter than you" vets with a stupid comment.

Thanks JenC. In an earlier post the OP says it was a one year old rare breed bitch.

I do not think of them as rare breeds any more, but could it have been a Shar Pei? They have a condition something like that. It had to do with the Hyaluron in the skin and is related to the wrinkling.

Mast cell tumors can also be very aggressive in the breed.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte K. View Post
    I do not think of them as rare breeds any more, but could it have been a Shar Pei? They have a condition something like that. It had to do with the Hyaluron in the skin and is related to the wrinkling.

Mast cell tumors can also be very aggressive in the breed.
    I found this link. I wonder if this is it. Sounds like it can be deadly if allowed to progress or if it gets out of control.
    WURTSBORO VETERINARY CLINIC

Yes, those are the syndromes I was trying to remember, well described. Unless the young dog had extensive mast cell tumors, it does sound manageable IF it were the Hyaluron disease. Sad.

I wonder why if it is common in the breed the poster said this was "rife in America but no known cases here"? (Assuming it is the above referenced disorder, of course.)
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos