Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Petition against silvers

Think everyone would care about this one.

https://www.change.org/p/the-labrado...ion-reason_msg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexS For This Useful Post:

Sam I Am (08-05-2015)

House Broken
    I signed it for you.

Senior Dog
    This has been going around FB, and I did sign it but the problem I have with it is it is sort of vague. How exactly would it be enforced? The AKC has no idea when you send in a registration what the dog looks like ... which is how silvers became registered as chocolate in the first place. Even if it was required that all breeding animals be tested for the dilute gene prior to being bred, again, how would that be reinforced? I could send in the DNA sample from one of my dogs that I knew was clear and write on it that it was from another one that wasn’t and who would know?

Ethical responsible breeders will do everything they can to avoid perpetuating the dilutes, and others won’t and I’m not sure what the LRC can really do about it.

I think most of it just needs to happen through education - so all judges know that any color other than black, yellow, and chocolate is a DQ, and so pet owners understand that Labs only come in 3 colors and that anything else is not really a pure-bred Lab.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

I also signed it but I agree with Annette. I highly doubt it will change anything. Unfortunately the silvers will be around as long as people are willing to spend the money to buy them, just like "doodles". If only more people would research before buying and only buy from responsible/reputable breeders the world would be a better place! We live in an instant gratification society so that will probably never happen, sadly.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Mudlark (08-05-2015)

I agree with the cause but I generally don't think petitions do anything.

Still better then just arguing with people on facebook about it though. Never hurts to try

House Broken
    My biggest concern is that the idiots that buy the silver 'labradors' having not done any research, are totally unprepared for the fact that the Weimaraner blood, (however diluted by the generations) gives a totally different temperament to that which a novice pet owner is expecting from a lab - Weimaraners (though a fabulous breed in their own right) have a strong protective, guarding instinct and the males especially are not nearly so 'hail fellow well met' with other dogs.
    So the result is that the resulting silver mix dog is blamed for having a 'poor' or 'aggressive' temperament, when really it is just a victim of it's own genes!

I will certainly sign the petition, it might save just one of these silver mixes becoming an unwanted, mislabelled pet.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mudlark For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (08-05-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
    This has been going around FB, and I did sign it but the problem I have with it is it is sort of vague. How exactly would it be enforced? The AKC has no idea when you send in a registration what the dog looks like ... which is how silvers became registered as chocolate in the first place. Even if it was required that all breeding animals be tested for the dilute gene prior to being bred, again, how would that be reinforced? I could send in the DNA sample from one of my dogs that I knew was clear and write on it that it was from another one that wasn’t and who would know?

Ethical responsible breeders will do everything they can to avoid perpetuating the dilutes, and others won’t and I’m not sure what the LRC can really do about it.

I think most of it just needs to happen through education - so all judges know that any color other than black, yellow, and chocolate is a DQ, and so pet owners understand that Labs only come in 3 colors and that anything else is not really a pure-bred Lab.
    True, and maybe the petition will not sway the members of LRC, Inc. to refine the standard to make it clear that gray-colored dogs are not chocolate or black, and that dogs carrying the "d" allele are ineligible to be registered as Labradors (I'd love for people to have to DNA test their dogs with microchip verified by a vet and have the submission be witnessed and signed off on by a vet in order to register their dogs, similar to what I did when I submitted my test for EIC to Univ of Minnesota for testing), but it's a start. While it is totally annoying to test for something you know your dog doesn't carry, I had my younger boy tested for the dilute gene (obviously he returned DD and is clear for dilute which is now on his OFA profile), and I hope that everyone involved in Labradors does the same. Yes, it is annoying, but I think it helps people to see that the dilute gene is not something native in our breed.

I think it is ridiculous that silver supporters keep saying the d allele has been in our breed since the beginning, but breeders of traditional colors have been culling the dilute dogs. If dilution had always been present we would talk about it as we do other mismarks or disqualified colors like black & tan or brindle. This is all about dilute breeders trying to capitalize on the popularity of the Labrador breed.
    Last edited by dxboon; 08-06-2015 at 12:02 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (08-05-2015)

I think as a breed We have to look to the LRC they are never going to change their stance on silver and they are the most powerful breed club in the AKC and the collective knowledge of the breed I really consider silvers a non factor, people that buy them get what they deserve!

Silvers are not dilutes. Period. It's all bulls09t so called breeders have used to fleece money from the unsuspecting public. Rare silver labs. All bullshit.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos