Stella update #2

I've been remiss in sharing the follow up news about Stella. Go here for the follow up which has links to the original posts.

At last week's appointment, Dr. Vallee was overall pleased with Stella's recovery. There was no evidence of infection. However . . .

He scheduled another follow-up because he saw an oronasal fistula in each maxillal (sp?) canine socket. An oronasal fistula is an open passage between the mouth and the nasal passage. Food or other stuff can travel from the mouth to the nasal passage, possibly causing infection. That's not good.

He wanted to give Stella's gums another week to heal. Yesterday's follow-up revealed that there are open fistulas. I saw them, interesting. They won't close up without help. So Stella is scheduled for another procedure next Wednesday. It's much less involved, a matter of pulling newly flexible gum tissue over the fistulas. She will be sedated of course. Afterwards she will be on Metacam for a few days, an antibiotic for about 10 days, and canned food for perhaps three more weeks from now.

Throughout this ordeal Stella's been so resilient. Eating every scrap of food, ready for a walk, a car ride. Remarkably tolerant of having her lips pulled back, gums poked and prodded. What a remarkably good girl she's been.
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr Kleb For This Useful Post:

Dallas dawg (08-07-2015), MikeLynn (08-08-2015), POPTOP (08-07-2015), Scoutpout (08-07-2015)

That's a bag of mixed emotions you had in that visit but glad hear its fixable and found now before an infection set in.
    Stella is one tough cookie but a little mojo sent never hurts.
    At the Bridge
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10 - 5/12/23
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/10 - 6/25/22
    Purps (Pinks sister) - Black Lab/mix -(Back with us 1/1/18) 12/30/10 - 4/7/21
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/05 - 9/6/18
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/09 - 3/19/15
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/09 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

4. The Following User Says Thank You to katALlabs For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (08-07-2015)

Awwww, sweet Stella, I am so sorry she has to go through another procedure but it sounds like she is handling everything very well. Good thoughts for her upcoming surgery and a quick recovery.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (08-07-2015)

Poor girl. It must help her that you are able to keep it together yourself and not let her feel your upset. Pop's calm, cool and collected so it must not be too bad and that, I bet, helps get her through. Hope it's over and fixed soon though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (08-07-2015)

So sorry Stella has to go through another procedure. So glad she is tolerating it all well.

Sending more prayers and mojo.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

10. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (08-07-2015)

Thank you everyone.

While there are other treatment/correction options this is the only realistic one. While I wish it weren't so, my wishing won't change things. Worrying and fretting would only stress me. There's a good quote, I can't find the attribution.

'Worry is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere.'

Stella, like almost all dogs, quickly picks up on body language, emotions, and physiological subtext, she'd pick up on my stress and that won't do anyone any good. Achilles is even more sensitive to upset than Stella. The situation exists; Faye and I are responsible for all of us getting through it with the least possible trouble.

I almost forgot a piece of positive news. In the original thread I mentioned that Dr. Vallee had sent Stella's x-ray suite off for another opinion. He posted them on (what sounds like) a vets-only evaluation/discussion forum. Two vets with canine oral/dental chops independently said that they saw no evidence of anything (read: cancer) other than periodontal disease.
    --------------
    I had mentioned how resilient dogs in general are, and Stella in particular is. Here's proof positive. She went from being a southern belle, thriving in incessant Texas heat, to diving into snowbanks.

I expect she'll be fine.
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

Senior Dog
    I've always loved that picture. That sounds painful, pulling ur gum to cover a hole. I'm sure she will get lots of love to heal. Good thoughts ur way.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dallas dawg For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (08-08-2015)

aw poor girl, but at least its fixable, and sounds like it will save her from lots of future problems.
    they are amazing, aren't they....how they adjust. and having her beloved humans with her, i'm sure makes it much easier.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (08-08-2015)

Poor Stella; when it rains, it pours. Sending a lot of hugs and good thoughts. M&M
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeLynn For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (08-08-2015)

Sending good thoughts for your sweet Stella.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

19. The Following User Says Thank You to labsnewfy For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (08-09-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos