Is this normal sibling behavior

Back in Nov we adopted Benelli we wanted another lab but we also wanted a playmate for Gauge. He loves when dogs come over or the fosters I have and always looked depressed when they left and he had no one.

Anyway I guess the last month or so he's not listening. We now have to crate him when we go out . we used to let him have our bedroom but he started eating things off our dressers even if we put them up he would climb on them.

His recall was always 100 percent his fence fighting was better he would still do it but I could call him and he would come right to me. Now its like he has selective hearing and the other day I told him to come and he decided to play charge mommy and run away.

Is this an act iof jealousy? I give them each individual attention take him to places without Benelli and they both get tons of exercise.

He's now on a lunge leash and we are working on recall again in the yard. I already do NILF.

Any suggestions?

Start training from scratch. Remember for all the times you reward good behavior, they also remember when you reward bad behavior. Training is a life-long thing. You have to reinforce all the time.

Oh im always working on training it just seems like the last two months he's just not listening.

He knows to wait at doors for example just BC I don't want him rushing out when people come over so its something I enforce at every door. He was taught to wait and you wouldn't even have to tell him he would sit automatically and wait for me to say ok and release him. He's been trying to bull rush thru the door I block him say sit, wait and he gets right back up and pushes into me I actually walk into him and tell him back. I won't let him out until he sits and waits.

Maybe he's just testing me again tho I thought they grew out of that stage . I'll prob take him to a obtediance class to refresh his memory and to do something with him without his "brother".

Senior Dog
    How old is he now?
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Back to the basics. He's testing his limits and being a goof brain.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Yes. Back to basics

Do you think it could have to do with all of the fostering? I know many dogs belonging to fosters who act out when there are new pets in the house. When I fostered I had one dog that would do it. He played with the foster dogs, so to some degree he enjoyed their company, but I don't know if he felt frustrated, overstimulated, jealous or what, because he was definitely a different dog during that time. He would generally get destructive and stop listening. Once I quit fostering he was fine.

It could be the fosters but I've been fostering since November pretty much without a break in between fosters. He does enjoy their company but I also wonder if its an attention getter.

He's 3 now.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos