Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Cookie got hit by a car

08/08/15

It happened, and I thought it never would. He never left my side, let alone run to a busy street. I just turned around to look back where my friends were, and he was gone. It was dark. We called his name, nothing. We split and started to search for him. And then the phone call: "Come to the street, Cookie was hit by a car." And the street wasn't that close at all. He must have run towards it, after something or someone...

When I saw him lying in the middle of the road in a pool of blood breathing heavily, I thought he is about to leave us.

Thank God for the good people who happened to pass by at that moment. They stopped the traffic and called the vet. They put Cookie into their car and we headed to the vet. The vet gave him 4 injections and sedated him, because Cookie was howling from pain. He said: "That dog is dying. Take him to the ER." Cookie wouldn't stop howling and crying. The ER vet checked him and said his lungs were filling with water. He gave him injections and put him on oxygen. He also told me that Cookie was dying. His body temperature was really low, 37 C.

I felt like fainting and headed outside to get some air. I was in complete shock, I couldn't even cry.

After half and hour the vet came out to tell me that he has calmed down and is breathing fine. He put him in a crate for the night and told me he would call me in the morning. X-rays would be taken tomorrow, if he lives.

I don't know how I survived that night. We headed home, tried to watch a movie and get some sleep. I couldn't sleep, I kept wondering whether he was still alive, thought about all the things I could have done differently to prevent the accident, flashbacks of Cookie lying in the middle of the road in a pool of blood, his heartbreaking howling and cries. I fell asleep around 7 a.m.

The phone rang at 8:30. My heart stopped till I heard the words: "Cookie is still alive."

We drove to the vet almost immediately. Cookie was sleeping. Vet told us his lungs were okay. They took x-rays, his right hip is completely dislocated and will need surgery. He also might have had a mild stroke. But he is aware. He recognizes us. He even wagged his tail and tried to give us his paw.

The gave him IV fluids, and a cocktail of injections to calm him down, because he started crying again. My heart was breaking with every single cry.

They sedated him again. We left when he fell asleep.

When I came home that afternoon, and saw Cookie's toys around the corner, his bowl of water like we left them the day before, before we headed to the beach together, I completely broke down. I couldn't stop crying. That house was so empty without Cookie there. It didn't feel like home anymore.

I heard from the vet a few hours later, that Cookie was calm and sleeping.

Today he looks better, they told me. He is still on IV fluids, but they didn't sedate him today. He isn't crying, but looks very tired. I can't wait to finish with work so I can go and see him. My poor, poor baby.

As for the guy who hit him with his car and ran away, leaving my baby in the middle of the road in a pool of blood, I hope there is a special place in hell for him.

And I was also surprised at the good will and the immediate action from people who just happened to be there, because they have saved Cookie's life.

Hug your fur-babies.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

I am so sorry this happened! I will be praying for a fast recovery!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to brownietrout For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-10-2015)

Senior Dog
    Oh Elena...I'm so, so, sorry. If good thoughts can help him get through this, he'll be fine...the board's going to be by Cookie's side, you know this.

It sounds like he got the appropriate treatment as fast as possible...that's in your favor...and he's a strong boy to begin with.

I'm sitting here crying and my words just aren't coming...please just know that I'm sending all the good thoughts that I have for your sweet boy...and a big hug for you. Let us know how he's coming along as you can.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-10-2015), Charlotte K. (08-10-2015)

This is horrible, poor Cookie! At least there was somebody to help you guys. Hope he's doing better already and will be okay as soon as possible. Sending a lot of good thoughts, hugs to both of you and gentle ear scratches for Cookie. M&M
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeLynn For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-10-2015)

I am very sorry to learn this. Calming, healing thoughts sent by special delivery. Please give Cookie a pat on the head from me and give yourself a hug from me.
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Kleb For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-10-2015)

Wow. I'm so sorry. Poor Cookie. I hope he continues to recover and you can get him home soon where he belongs.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgia For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-10-2015)

So sorry for you and Cookie. I was so shocked and horrified to read this. Prayers for a fast recovery for Cookie.
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    —Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoopsaDaisy For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-10-2015)

So sorry to hear about Cookie, sending prayers and lots of MOJO for a fast recovery for Cookie.
    At the Bridge
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10 - 5/12/23
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/10 - 6/25/22
    Purps (Pinks sister) - Black Lab/mix -(Back with us 1/1/18) 12/30/10 - 4/7/21
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/05 - 9/6/18
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/09 - 3/19/15
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/09 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

15. The Following User Says Thank You to katALlabs For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-10-2015)

Oh No! I am so sorry. Very traumatic for you both. I can't even imagine seeing something like that. Please keep us posted.
    Big hugs to you and Cookie.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue-Ram For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-10-2015)

I am heartbroken for you and Cookie. Prayers for a full recovery. Poor baby.
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

19. The Following User Says Thank You to kelsyg For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-10-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos