Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Archie's Annual Vet Check

Poor boy, it was supposed to be so easy. Heartworm test - clear. Ears - clean. Heart - great. Weight - 74 pounds; great for a dog who came to us with spine and hips showing; good weight for him. No vacs due so no shots.

Archie has horn papillomas. They start out like a little bump and develop a very hard tip to them and continues to grow out, about a 1/4 inch. The hard tip eventually falls off. He came to us this way and they are totally benign. Well, he had what looked like one on his side but seemed to bother him. Turns out it's a little different and has gotten an infection in it. He's on antibiotics and maybe a cone if he won't leave it alone.

His lungs and nose are good. Has not reversed sneezed in days. The events did not seem to be exercise induced or different inside or outside. Just something to keep tabs on.

He has been scooting his butt a little lately so poor boy got his anal glands checked. A little full but worse he probably has perianal fistulas. Apparently it's seen more in GSDs. The glands got expressed and then medication was instilled into the glands. He was not happy at all.

To finish out his fantastic visit, he got his nail clipped. After all the dental work he has had done, he was not really pleased to be there in the first place and he has even more reasons to dislike a vet visit now. Alas, he has to go back in 2 weeks for a check.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

2. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

kelsyg (08-15-2015)

Sounds like it was a good visit, overall. Did he get a surprised/startled look when his glands were expressed?
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

Poor boy, such indignities! I bet he was not a happy camper, I don't blame him. I am glad most was good about his check up!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Is Archie on heartworm preventative all year long? I was surprised to read he had the test in August. Poor boy, the not fun parts probably outweigh the good parts for him. Hard for the Vet and staff to overcome those unpleasant things. A little doggie, I think a Pekinese, had just had her anal glands expressed when we were at the Vet yesterday and she was not a happy little girl.

Poor Archie! Glad nothing's too serious though.

well, mostly good, but i bet not from his point of view!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kleb View Post
    Sounds like it was a good visit, overall. Did he get a surprised/startled look when his glands were expressed?
    Don't know about surprised, more like disgusted.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Is Archie on heartworm preventative all year long? I was surprised to read he had the test in August. Poor boy, the not fun parts probably outweigh the good parts for him. Hard for the Vet and staff to overcome those unpleasant things. A little doggie, I think a Pekinese, had just had her anal glands expressed when we were at the Vet yesterday and she was not a happy little girl.
    Not year round. We had enough Sentinel for the beginning of the summer. Just so happens his heartworm check lands mid summer. Don't know if you remember, but he was initially started on Heartgard but it had to be changed since he reacted to the Heartgard. Think the bet must have based his yearly heartworm test on when he started the Sentinel.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Not year round. We had enough Sentinel for the beginning of the summer. Just so happens his heartworm check lands mid summer. Don't know if you remember, but he was initially started on Heartgard but it had to be changed since he reacted to the Heartgard. Think the bet must have based his yearly heartworm test on when he started the Sentinel.
    \I didn't know you could test mid season. There is always a big push here to get the heartworm test done in April, before mosquito season starts. I thought you had to check before starting up the preventative again, in case a dose was missed last summer and the buggers got established in the dog over the winter.

Poor Archie, at least most of his visit was pretty good. Ginger has had problems with her anal glands in the past we put her on pumpkin, not the pie backing kind, and she knock on wood hasn't had a problem for some time now.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos