Dirty, Rotten, Stinkin' Dog

Oban took off on me, other dog people caught him, called the number on his collar, got the OH at home, OH called me, I met them at the parking lot and retrieved my dirty, rotten, stinkin' dog.

Well, it wasn't totally Oban's fault. I had a migraine so he didn't get a walk yesterday so he was raring to go today. Then, all he did was take a shortcut that he often goes bounding up, but this time while I continued along the low road (really a foot path) to the creek Oban met these people and their dogs along the high road and bounced around with them. They waited for an owner to show up but my path was longer and when I didn't show up they put a leash on him. We've met the lady and dogs before, they are all nice and get along but I didn't think Oban LOVED them, like he does the odd dog we meet.

All's well that ends well but of course you all know thoughts of Cookie raced through my mind when Oban didn't come back, as he always does. I've done the exact same thing as those people when I've encountered an ownerless dog; wait a bit to see if they show, then keep the dog with me, figuring it's safer with me than loose.

And, I guess I will have to write down where I'm going, even if the OH is right there when I leave, not just tell him. He told them I was parked at a lot I never park at. The people went there to wait for me then we all had to walk back the way we'd come to get to where we were really parked. Not a big deal this time, but some places there could be a mile or so difference.

Very scary, I am glad it turned out as good as it did.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Guess Oban took the saying "always take the hight road" a bit too literally. It's great it all worked out and that the people were nice enough to make sure Oban got back to you.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

Oh, that's scary! So glad Oban met up with friends and they held on to him. One reason I like Archie's collar that has his name and our phone number on it.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Senior Dog
    So very scary. Glad for the happy ending! Oban, don't scare your mom like that!
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

You live around nice people! I'm glad it worked out well.

yikes! i knew it was you posting just from the title and wondered "what did Oban get up to this time?"
    so glad it turned out fine, but that feeling when your dog doesn't come back,,,,, horrible!

So glad he met up with good people that did the right thing and found his owner. Scary though.
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

I didn't really get scared. It's a big area and not likely Oban would get out on a road. I was actually, even before the OH phoned me, wondering if someone was restraining him so he COuldn't come back to me. Mountain bikers have made that shortcut and Oban always checks it out and then comes back to me to continue on and play in the creek. Yesterday he didn't get to the creek at all. Still, I think we will do some work on staying closer. It can be hard in the bush, once he was only about 5 feet away but under big ferns and I could not see him.

Glad you were able to find him. That's nice of those people.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos