Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gps trackers

Anyone have opinions on GPS trackers? I have wanted one for a long time for my cat-- who gets supervised outside time that can sometimes not be as supervised as I'd like. I went through the fear and anxiety over losing him once -- posted signs up everywhere and talked to all surrounding neighbors and hunted for him night after night. On the 5th night there was a little bird chirping sound in my parents bathroom. Mom said she'd been hearing bird noises in her room for a few days. After a little investigating...we opened up a panel in the wall that leads to the whirlpool tub's access panel....and out came a wobbly but happy kitty. Not sure how many of those 9 lives he has left. (They has a repairman over the day he went missing) Anyway he still goes outside some but only when we can watch him and never at night. Would have loved a GPS tracker on him but they are all too huge to be put on a cats collar. I found a new one - whistle GPS. It's made for dogs but could work for cats also. Here's the article I saw about it: WhistleGPS Device Tracks Pet While Owners are Away - ABC News I wonder if it's worth it!? Anyone order one yet?
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

I have the current Whistle activity monitors on my dogs and I have ordered the gps model. It won't be out until 2015. They just had a preorder special for a couple of weeks where it was $49. It might be bulky for a cat. I know there were questions about cats on their Facebook page. They explained that the gps feature would work but that the activity monitoring is geared to dog activity.

You can see it on Sam's collar in a photo I just posted in this thread: https://www.lab-retriever.net/board/f...-inspired.html
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ckfalz For This Useful Post:

WhoopsaDaisy (06-03-2014)

House Broken
    I think the GPS tracker is a great invention. Maybe eventually they will have one for cats. My cats are indoors only, but the little guy tries to bolt once in awhile. It would be nice to have one on him.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CatNSadie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ckfalz View Post
    I have the current Whistle activity monitors on my dogs and I have ordered the gps model. It won't be out until 2015. They just had a preorder special for a couple of weeks where it was $49. It might be bulky for a cat. I know there were questions about cats on their Facebook page. They explained that the gps feature would work but that the activity monitoring is geared to dog activity. You can see it on Sam's collar in a photo I just posted in this thread: https://www.lab-retriever.net/board/f...-inspired.html
    Thanks, it doesn't look too too huge... I wish I had one for both of my fur kids.
    I saw the $49 pre order deal... Too bad I missed it. I always have to think things over and then I miss out on the deals!

They have one day left on the WhistleGPS $49 preorder deal. Just ordered mine!
    WhistleGPS - location and activity tracker for dogs
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyThor For This Useful Post:

I might just order two of them!! When do they come out?

We don't have a GPS tracker for Mocha except for the jingling of his tags. We'll look into this.

Here is a preorder link. They come out in 2015, they have not been specific on exactly when. They have over 10,000 preorders. If you use that link, you will save me a little on my order. There is one day left on the preorder price.
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

Quote Originally Posted by ckfalz View Post
    Here is a preorder link. They come out in 2015, they have not been specific on exactly when. They have over 10,000 preorders. If you use that link, you will save me a little on my order. There is one day left on the preorder price.
    Haha yes too bad I already pre ordered. I sad it won't be shipped until 2015!

Do we know how accurate they will be, waterproof, battery life, etc? I can't seem to find any specs on it.

I'd like to get a gps for Emma when she older and we go hiking and camping. I've looked into the Garmin Astro DC-50 but I have a hard time swallowing the $600 price tag.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos