Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking The Labrador Retriever - an Alternative Breed Standard

THE LABRADOR RETRIEVER - AN ALTERNATIVE BREED STANDARD

General Appearance

Not too fussy about appearance. Perfectly happy covered in mud. Not too fussed about bringing home an aroma from something rolled in either. Quite prepared to stand and allow owner to wash dirt off and understands the importance of getting dry by getting rid of excess water with a good shake... usually when standing beside owner.

Characteristics

Agile, adaptable and devoted to the cause. Has never lost its ability to hunt for food and shows all these characteristics to demonstrate the fact.

Temperament

Very intelligent and kind. Not aggressive or shy. Uses these qualities when conning food off people or when done something wrong and due a bollocking.

Skull

Houses a computer-like brain. Solves problems in split seconds, can switch from one application to another in nano seconds and has plenty excess capacity for personal projects.

Eyes

Can see a crumb under a chair at the opposite end of an unit room.

Ears

More effective than Fylingdales. When used in conjunction with eyes, nothing is missed. Ears can detect a sweet being unwrapped in a pocket 3 rooms away, with every door closed. Can be switched on and off at will.

Nose

Unbelievably effective. No limit to the distance food can be detected. Can also detect foul smelling objects and substances in which to roll, up to 3 fields away. Can cause acute embarrassment when shoved into the crotch of visitors.

Mouth

Pre-programmed to pick things up in its mouth and walk away with them, it will need reprogramming to get it to carry them to the handler. New models (called puppies) come fitted with a temporary set of needles. No chair or table leg is safe, particularly with ones left on their own .- both furniture and puppies.

Neck

Strong and powerful enough to drag anything attached to a collar and lead.

Forequarters

The part seen just before it launches itself to show how pleased it is to see you.

Body

Very solid construction. Can easily dislodge large objects which have foolishly been left in its path. Also very efficient at bringing down standing human objects, especially when clattering into the back of the legs.

Hindquarters

The part most often seen by the owner who can't be bothered to train the dog.

Tail

Unfortunately fitted to the Labrador at coffee table height and with one wag can clear every cup (especially when full) and anything else not nailed to the table.

Movement

Usually in a straight line, with a purpose, so it tends to be thinking more about that than where it's going. Advisable to nail valuables down.

Coat

Has a waterproof undercoat which it needs because it does not walk around water, whether it be puddle or stream. No too fussy about the consistency or aroma either.

Colour

Black, chocolate and yellow - depending on your choice, you may have to re-organise your decor.

Size

Big enough to crash into anything.

Faults

None whatsoever.

(Source: Double LL Farm Labrador Retrievers)
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

Barry P (06-03-2014), barry581 (06-03-2014), doubledip1 (06-03-2014), fan of fanboys (06-03-2014), janedoe (06-03-2014), Jeff (06-03-2014), kelsyg (06-03-2014), kimbersmom (06-03-2014), Maxx&Emma (06-03-2014), MightyThor (06-03-2014), MontananDakota (06-03-2014), petitesalmon (06-03-2014), Ruger's Mom (06-03-2014), Scoutpout (06-03-2014), Snowshoe (06-03-2014), Sue-Ram (06-03-2014), SunDance (06-03-2014), ZoeysMommy (06-03-2014)

Looks like Bobby has just been awarded his Supreme Grand Champion title.

Very amusing and so true!

Surprised it doesn't mention another skill - the nose nudge!
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kelsyg For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (06-03-2014)

So true, so true!!! I'd save every Lab I've had exhibited about 99% of those traits!

House Broken
    Brilliant!!! Especially "....Also very efficient at bringing down standing human objects, especially when clattering into the back of the legs. "
    Hope all is well and have a great day

Fred Henry

Wow, that's the best description of the breed I've ever read and so true! I just wonder why they don't use this instead of all that technical, expertly garbage that can be found most anywhere However, I must admit that some of them are born with certain handicaps: don't eat and destroy furniture, shoes, and... Shoot there's nothing I can think of right now, but I'm sure that future lab owners might get used to these slight insufficiencies or correct them working diligently with an experienced trainer
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeLynn For This Useful Post:

Maxx&Emma (06-03-2014)

Love it. Thanks for my morning laugh. My Charlie certainly meets the alternative breed standard.

I love this!
    I would add in the eyes section: When used in conjunction the head tilt, can melt the hardest of hearts.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sparky For This Useful Post:

Maxx&Emma (06-03-2014), MikeLynn (06-03-2014), ZRabbits (06-03-2014)

This is just perfect, I love it!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    I love this!
    I would add in the eyes section: When used in conjunction the head tilt, can melt the hardest of hearts.
    One of their best "weapons" and I swear they know it!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

MikeLynn (06-03-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos