Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pet Cremation Scams

The other day I was catching up on my Freakonomics podcasts and listened to a report about pet cremation and how people are getting ripped off. It was very disappointing. I personally don't have use for the ashes of my pets, but I know a lot of people do find comfort in keeping them.

Here is the story. You don't need to download anything or have the podcast app. You can read the story or listen to it on your PC.

I didn't read the story, partly because I don't really want to know that Magpie's and Teddy's ashes are actually some other random crap. I'd rather just bury my pets as we did our first 2 dogs but we've moved so many times since then that I hate to leave them behind.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

House Broken
    Did not read article but that is a great podcast. I don't listen to every topic but they are generally pretty good.

Senior Dog
    Yeah, I’ve heard of scams like that before, and you have to wonder. All I know is that the place we use services the surrounding several counties (it is in our town) and has a good reputation. They do give you a certificate swearing that the remains are your animal alone (if you select that option). You can also opt not to do a private cremation and/or not get the ashes back. With the pets we’ve lost (Scully, Mulder & Jolie) we opted for individual cremations, but with Chloe’s stillborn puppies we did not.

I’m not overly attached to the ashes, but I like to think that if any part of them is still here, it should be with us. Don’t like the idea of moving and leaving a buried animal behind.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

I did read the transcript, I want to throw up. I have paid to have "individual" cremations done of 6 dogs and 3 kitties. To think there is even a slight possibility I do not have the remains of my precious animals is unfathomable. I am going to choose to believe that what I have belongs to my sweet babies. I do not want to think any other way, I just can't.

These places doing such awful things need to be exposed and pay for their ignorance. I feel so bad for the people that were duped. It is wrong on so many levels.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Disgusting.

We have opted to have our dogs cremated and have the ashes in urns because we know we will not live here forever. Also, we are not allowed to bury them here. Even the local pet cemeteries require that pets be cremated.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
    Yeah, I’ve heard of scams like that before, and you have to wonder. All I know is that the place we use services the surrounding several counties (it is in our town) and has a good reputation. They do give you a certificate swearing that the remains are your animal alone (if you select that option).
    The same as Annette, we have used a local service with a good reputation. They also provide a certificate swearing that the remains are your animal only. I have to believe they are trustworthy. The alternative is just disgusting.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

I have cremated mine due to the difficulty in burying them in the soil here and that I don't like the idea of leaving them behind in someone else's yard when I move on. I have not kept the ashes, I scattered them in a favourite place. I have wondered about the ashes. How can I know? I can't, I just have to trust.
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

I know it can happen, I just have to look at my kids urns. My little Annie beagle/gsd mix weighed about 37lbs, Coleman a black lab and weighed about 90lbs, Tootsie choc lab weighed about 65lbs, Lowen aussie weighed 45lbs and Bailey newfie mix weighed 88lbs. Coleman's urn is smaller then Tootsie, Bailey and Lowen. Bailey and Lowen's urns are pretty close in size too, so pretty sure it has happened to us, just don't want to think about it.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

The few I looked into around my area, and the one we used (through the Vet) recently allows for communal or Private cremation. They provide the certificate of a private cremation. They also allow for you to view your dog going into the crematory oven if you wish too (further showing it's private). Some places also offer a DVD showing the process. I didn't choose to view and will have to trust.

I'm sure they don't meticulously clean every bit of ash in between private cremations, but I'd like to think the bulk of what you're receiving are of your loved one.

Bob

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos