What's Wrong With This Statement?

"They are like a family member."

Someone said this to me recently, about pets, and I immediately thought, what? They ARE a family member. Is it only me that finds this a self contradictory thing to say? That by putting in the word "like" the whole statement automatically becomes the negative of what was meant?

How about, "The kid next door is here so much he's like a family member." But he isn't, he doesn't sleep over, so for him the statement is right. Not for my dog, who IS a family member.

Senior Dog
    I think it's a push back against the anthropomorphization of animals. To such people, "family" is limited to human beings.

Although I'm a crazy dog person and think of Kimber as part of my family, I do understand the other side. On another site I visit, a woman had just started working at an office which was dog-friendly. No one had mentioned in the interview that people often brought their pets to the office, and she hadn't seen any during the on-site visit. This was a problem because she is horrifically allergic to dogs. She tried working with her allergist to come up with alternatives and ways to keep her exposure to the dander at a minimum, but really, she was so very sensitive that her health was suffering. (This workplace had nothing to do with animal care.) Some on the commentariat were very unsympathetic: the dogs were there first; people liked bringing their dogs to the office; she should find another job. I was somewhat sympathetic to this response but really, dogs don't have the same rights as humans. Where we draw that line is an interesting discussion.

I'm not saying that's how you are, Snowshoe! It's just an example of how I've been thinking about this topic..
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Senior Dog
    Hah...and here I thought you were asking word nerds to critique a sentence. So...

They (plural) are like family members (plural). (with or without the "like" as people prefer...I also drop the "like")

Tah dah!!! (I know, I know...."smarta55")

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Snowshoe (08-24-2015)

Guess I have not been making that distinction when someone uses the work "like". I refer to Mardi and Archie as family members in that they are treated with respect and consideration as I would any other human family member. Maybe more like a child since I am responsible for feeding and caring for them. It goes beyond that, it's true love for another living creature whether it be human or animal.

I do understand that there are those who do not feel the same and hopefully they don't own a dog or any other pet when they don't make the same commitment.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I hear what you're saying but what I've seen makes me think, well, that's not bad. That said, I'm kind of rabid about the family members I'm responsible for so I may lack perspective because of what I feel is appropriate in that I may go too far.

Mine are family. My son's pit bull is my grand dog, and I refer to the dogs as my kids brother and sister.

Yep, Bacon is our baby, our first born son Some people dont seem to get it. One perfect example is all the trouble we are going through for a wedding next year. Jake's sister is getting married in Duluth, about 3.5 hours away from where we live, and Jake is in the wedding. This means we need to be there for the rehearsal dinner, etc. So, we are trying to rent a house or cabin where Bacon can come with. Our reasoning-we dont want to board him, and we dont want him to miss out, he loves the north shore! People look at us like we are crazy because we are willing to pay more money to have Bacon with us. He is our kid, would you pay extra to bring your kid along?
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

My pets are my kids I actually think they are more spoilt than my non fur baby. So yes they are my family. Like family would irritate me but just a dog kills me to the core.

My dogs are family, I love them so much! It is so much easier to ignore people that don't get it. You will never make them understand, unfortunately.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I don't think of Achilles and Stella as our furbabies or furkids. They are our dogs. Having said that, they are our treasured, deeply loved and valued companions. We readily give up a fair amount of freedom to accommodate their needs. So yes, that makes them family.

I know good people who do not grasp let alone understand the bond we have with our dogs. I work at being compassionate and accepting, trying to accept their fundamental goodness.
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Kleb For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (08-30-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos