Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dirty Rotten Stinkin Dog Got Into a Fight. :(

My fault, I could have prevented it, and just a scuffle, really, with no harm done. But I am really kicking myself. Oban and the big Newfie have been fine every time they've met but we've always passed, going in opposite directions. This morning we met at the point we turn around and go back and I guess the forced being together is what did it. That and the intact male Newf is now 1.5 years old, apparently now seen by Oban as a threat. Dumb Oban, the Newf must be twice his weight. Dumb me for putting him in that position, both of them. No one is hurt, dog or owner. Not a scratch.

I'm so dumb, I should have passed them and just extended our walk a bit so as to avoid us all walking back together. There were two other owners and seven dogs altogether and I'm so embarassed.

I'm just glad you and Oban are ok! Don't beat yourself up! You can never predict what another dog would do.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar
    What is it about Newfie's? Barley is scared of them. And - he really is scared of only one other dog. What is done is done - don't blame yourself. Everyone is o.k. Dogs on leash can be unpredictable at times as you know.. Sigh...
    Forever in my heart - Sweet gentle Moby - lover of belly rubs, bacon, and Barbara 9-10-2001 to 11-2-2015

Dogs will be dogs, so unpredictable. Bubba hasn't really learned appropriate dog boundaries yet (the constant licking of other dogs faces) and gets growled at a lot. I would say 90% of the owners are amazed seeing their dogs' "aggressive" reaction to a puppy.

I wouldn't worry about it and also if they have an intact 1.5 year old they should be well aware of the potential for dog aggression and be more ready to change course, etc.

I'm beginning to trust Newfie *owners* less and less. We've had to remove one from our conformation classes for aggression (attacked a Papillon!), and then we had one who was supposedly just very "friendly" at our obed classes this past spring who busted away from his owner nearly ever class to either play or "whatever". Kanzi was molested while demo'ing in the ring one night! This dog was 165# to her 53#. Same dog jumped a Cane Corso at the match in the spring (dumb dog!!!). Fortunately the Corso was under control and has a sweet temperament. People are just clueless anymore, it seems.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Don't blame yourself, you never know how even dogs you and Oban know will react. The good thing is you were aware and so was the other owner and damage was averted.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

oh Oban! there's just "something" about other dogs sometimes, but it can surprise the heck out of you when you have a sweetie like Oban who normally doesn't react.
    sounds like you and the other owner handled it as best you all could, and no real harm done.

Weird. We have a really nice male Newfie in class who is like in the top three Newfies in the country for conformation. He doesn't move much, if at all some days, and most of the dogs are scared of him. Many will veer wide and give him the side-eye during a recall and he'll be on leash just standing there about 20 feet away. During the long sits/stays, more than one dog has gotten up and left because he was next to them and he twitched a muscle. When we first started going, he'd try to stare down Linus and it made the instructor nervous. I don't really trust him, to be honest, and I keep my distance. I had an aunt and uncle with one and he was not to be trusted with other dogs, either. Glad all is well. Those are big dogs!

Ah, it happens. Don't beat yourself up. The good thing is no one was hurt.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

This is a nice Newfie and wonderful owners. It was just an intact boy on intact boy thing that I could have avoided by not walking with them. I think. Every other time we've met it's been in passing and the boys have been fine.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos