Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What does a wedding dinner cost?

We have been invited to a semi-traditional Chinese/Chinese-American wedding so they have no registry. Instead, the gifts are expected to be cash and to cover the costs, in particular the reception dinner. The restaurant is nice but not terribly high end (about $25 a meal on their menu). We chose salmon. What would the reception dinners cost per guest?

I don't really have an answer to your question specifically. I haven't been to a wedding in a few years but If I was invited to the dinner and reception I usually tucked $100 in an envelope thinking it would cover the cost of the dinner and reception for my wife and I. If it was somebody I was more closer to like a relative or best friend type thing I might double that. That beings said, that would be in my spending range as well.
    Thanks Everyone!!

Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post:

janedoe (08-26-2015)

Chinese weddings/ receptions are far different to any other wedding I have gone too. If they are not close to you I would think $50-$100 would be in the right range. Gl and have fun. IF they aare going traditional you may want to eat beforehand just saying.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jollymolly For This Useful Post:

janedoe (08-26-2015)

There's a very wide range of costs, depending upon many factors. When one of our kids got married, I don't think the price of an individual menu item in the restaurant was directly comparable to what the per person cost was of the reception dinner, since the reception included wine, hors d'oeuvres, appetizer, main course, cake service, etc. And a Chinese/Chinese American dinner reception? I don't know what that would even include. One of my kid's friends who got married within the past year, though, did have a bridal registry but gifts were only to be given for the bridal shower, cash was expected as wedding gifts.

The concept of expecting the guests to cover the cost of the reception dinner is just... um, no. If the whole pay-for-your-own-food was removed from the equation, how much would you be spending on the couple based upon how well you know them? Regardless of what they hope will happen, I'd base my gift on what I would generally give, which may be more or less than the actual cost of your meal.

Wedding Presents: The Ultimate Wedding Gift Giving Guide
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

janedoe (08-26-2015), Maxx&Emma (08-26-2015)

Not sure about wedding dinners but if it helps I purchased tickets to 5 course Beer pairing dinner last night, each course is paired with a different beer. That was $60 plus gratuity per ticket. Mine has drinks included but depends if wedding has an open bar or just meals. Then it is always nice to have a little extra for the bride and groom. So I would kind of think $50-$100 per person as they are paying staff and so on as well. Doing some searches online buffet style wedding receptions tend to go in the $30-$50 per person range and plates and meals go from $40-$200 per person depending on number courses and what your having and location as well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

janedoe (08-26-2015)

A good dinner out with drinks for 2 is about $100. I would give that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

janedoe (08-26-2015)

Definitely hard to say and depends so much on the wedding. My sister is getting married in TWO WEEKS (ahh so much left to do) and I think that plates for her are running around $100.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to zd262 For This Useful Post:

janedoe (08-26-2015)

I usually give $100 unless it is a family member, (that I like, lol!), or a close friend. More recently it has been good friends of my children that have always been special to me. I always give more to them as well as close friends and the "lucky" family members.

I don't usually consider the per person cost of the reception, I did not pick the venue or the food! I think it is a bit much for the couple to "expect" their guests to cover the cost of their reception or to request cash only gifts. I am not sure I would want to attend a wedding with requests like that.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

janedoe (08-26-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    I don't usually consider the per person cost of the reception, I did not pick the venue or the food! I think it is a bit much for the couple to "expect" their guests to cover the cost of their reception or to request cash only gifts. I am not sure I would want to attend a wedding with requests like that.
    It is really interesting that for this wedding they are expecting cash gifts to cover the costs. How did they message that to you in a polite way? It sounds like $50-100 would be appropriate here given the venue and circumstances.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zd262 For This Useful Post:

janedoe (08-26-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by zd262 View Post
    It is really interesting that for this wedding they are expecting cash gifts to cover the costs. How did they message that to you in a polite way? It sounds like $50-100 would be appropriate here given the venue and circumstances.
    I find the idea tasteless and classless. If you can not afford to pay for your own reception than adjust your expectations. I would slap one of my kids silly if they did this.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

janedoe (08-26-2015), smartrock (08-26-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos