Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy No Bedside Manner

So we took the dogs to the vet for their annuals and shots last week. Usually we see the same guy but this time they gave us a new lady. She looked over the dogs and pretty told us that she wasn't going to give Cooper (14.5 years old) because it would be a waste as he wouldn't be back next year and this was the least of his worries.

I almost fell over and the look on my wife's face was enough for me. We are not delusional and realize he is on in years. His one back leg is bad from arthritis and has good days and bad days, his fecal incontinence has good days and bad days but he still eats, goes for a walk, plays with Georgia. He gained some weight back as he was down from the last time we went.

I think we are going to ask to not see her anymore or just switch Vets.
    Thanks Everyone!!

Hidden Content

That's awful. I wouldn't go back to her.

She was honest and good to you and Cooper though. The term "brutally honest" comes to mind. I guess the best would be to stay at that Vet's but ask to see a different Vet than her. They've got all your old dog's records and have a history with his health care that, to me, would be important.

Can you quietly speak to your regular Vet about her? She will lose patients for him, he might appreciate knowing about this lack of bed side manner. Small animal practice is as much about the owners as it is the animals.

Was she ok with Cooper otherwise? Not rough in her handling? How did Cooper react to her?

Wow what an aweful bedside manner. I wouldnt go back to see her either. Is the vet you normaly see still there can you go back to him?

Thats utterly terrible. I would be complaining to the vets office about her. That is not something you say!!!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

When my last guys were getting up there in age (I think starting at about 13?) the vet basically said the same thing to me, but she handled it in a much nicer way! She just explained that at their ages (13 and 13.5) their bodies didn't need the stress of vaccines, plus after a lifetime of having them, they had likely built up their own antibodies and didn't really need them anymore. I questioned the rabies, since thats a requirement where i am, but she said really that most of the rabies vaccines were effective for longer than what the shot renewal period was (i think back then they were on the cusp of offering the 3-yr vaccines, most were still giving the yearly), and since they'd both had the shot the year before at 12 and 12.5 years old, they were likely well covered till they were 15. And added something along the lines of hopefully we have to revisit that decision then for them!

Definitely mention the way this vet handled the conversation with you to your regular vet. The same information and decisions can be arrived at without being so blunt and not taking into consideration the owners' feelings!

Good to hear they're both doing well though!

I'd be OK with my vet talking like that but she knows me. A new vet shouldn't be so brutally honest. But I wouldn't be doing regular shots or rabies with an older dog. 10 years is the last year I do rabies for my dogs.

Senior Dog
    I’m with Scoutpout - vet could have given same info in a much more tactful manner.

My guys have all had regular shots up until about 12 and have gotten rabies at 14 (state law and they were in good health). We’ve had 2 make it to 15 and one just a couple months shy of that, so stopping any earlier feels risky. On the one hand, being older and having had regular vaccinations, they would hopefully have immunity, but on the other hand, if they don’t, then getting sick would be that much harder on them due to old age. If they are otherwise healthy we take the risk of the shot feeling it’s better to have them protected.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

What that vet said to you, the way it was said, is just wrong.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

She could have chosen her words better. I wouldn't vaccinate a senior either, and that's a good thing she didn't.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos