Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help me sell the idea of a second dog to my wife!

We just got a female black Lab in July.
    My first lab, and my first dog in a while.
    I had a GSD growing up until I was 12yo.

Smart girl, and catch on very quick!
    I now want to get a second Lab, but a yellow lab.
    but the wife objects. I have a 2yo son who plays and try to be the boss of the 4mo lab.
    Both plays well together.
    But with us planning for a second child in the coming year, the wife thinks that it's not a good idea to have 2 dogs.

-photo1-jpg-photo2-jpg-photo3-jpg-photo4-jpg

Help me convince the wife.
    Or talk me out of it!

Look at that face... the curious mind and the bow!
    I don't know about the 3rd picture from the breeder, but it looked like he's trying to pee indoors..

Help...!!
    Should I abandon the idea?

T
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo5-jpg  

Do you do all the work taking care of him? And I mean ALL?
    She has a lot to handle right now and with a new baby possibly coming and a new pup and toddler in the house already, she sure does not need more responsibilities. Sooo....
    If you can make sure it adds no load to her, then convince away.
    He is adorable!
    Just my humble opinion

3. The Following User Says Thank You to brownietrout For This Useful Post:

theiss (08-28-2015)

I think I agree with your wife...your 4 month old is going to change a lot over the coming months as he grows and develops and enters his teenage years. Plus it sounds like you had a really great experience with this first puppy, but this second puppy might be a handful, or maybe wouldn't get along with your 2 year old. There's no way to know. And you don't know how either dog will react to a new baby (or even how your 2 year old will react!)

Two kids under the age of 3 and two dogs under the age of 1 is not something I would be ready to jump into. Sorry for not helping your case!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zd262 For This Useful Post:

theiss (08-28-2015)

After reading everything you've written, I would question the quality of the breeder who would sell you this puppy given the fact that you have a very young puppy, and child, with plans for another child soon.

Only you know your limits, but personally I think this would be a horrible idea for the average pet dog owner. At minimum, every adult in the household should be enthusiastically onboard for a puppy. Raising a well-behaved dog takes commitment from all members of the family.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

Blackboy98 (08-28-2015), Labradorks (08-28-2015), Maxx&Emma (08-28-2015), Mudlark (08-28-2015), theiss (08-28-2015), xracer4844 (08-28-2015)

Honestly, your wife is right, another puppy is a crazy idea right now. I do agree with the above and would wonder about a breeder that would ok another puppy at this point. I don't think I know any responsible breeder that would do so. I wouldn't do it and my kids are adults!

Give your current puppy and your little one another couple years to grow up and then consider another puppy. You have so much fun ahead of you with your current puppy, a 2 y/o and possibly another baby.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Mudlark (08-28-2015), theiss (08-28-2015)

That's a lot to take on. I think that you'll find that your pup will become a handful pretty soon while she goes through adolescence. We took on two at the same time 11 years ago and I can't begin to imagine what it would have been like to have children at the same time. Way, way too much work.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

theiss (08-28-2015)

Our breeder of our older boy suggested waiting until the first dog is about 2 years old before getting a second dog. That way, the older dog is still young enough to play but has had the benefits of being the only puppy to be trained and loved on and hopefully by that time is well trained and past the wild and crazy puppy stage, which is still ahead for you. That's speaking only about what might be best for the dogs themselves.

As for convincing your wife, unless you work from home and take on all the dog care responsibilities, your wife would be left with trying to train and care for 2 puppies and 1-2 babies by herself for most of the waking hours. That's how dogs end up at the shelter because young labs have so much energy and require much more attention than most people realize. If your wife says she's not up to it right now, I'd honor her judgement.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (08-28-2015), Tanya (08-28-2015), theiss (08-28-2015)

I agree with waiting a few years before a second dog. It's probably not on your mind right now, but come end stage, you may be dealing with "two" geriatric dogs within the same timespan. It's good to have a few years apart for that reason as well.

Bob

agree with your wife 110%

in fact, they generally recommend waiting until a dog is around 2 years of age and properly trained/behaved before adding another and this is WITHOUT KIDS AND BABIES. you haven't even hit the teenage stage yet or the young adult phase where the dog needs TONS of exercise and becomes more indepedant/explores more. you are in cute puppy phase.

I also agree I highly question the breeder if they are trying to encourage you into another puppy...that isn't right at all

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

theiss (08-28-2015)

I also agree with your wife. Go to the puppy corner section and read thru the problems encountered with just one pup.

I think you would being an injustice to first your wife and then to the puppies. The time involved to PROPERLY train a puppy to become a GOOD dog is a lot of work. Two puppies and two young kids would not be fair to anyone and the last thing you want to do is to HAVE to rehome one of the puppies because of the workload.

Please reconsider your wish of another pup and make the one you have a well mannered and trained dog so some time in the future she can help you train a new pup.
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackboy98 For This Useful Post:

theiss (08-28-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos