House Broken

humping and spaying the older lady

I've been contemplating taking in an older female from my friend (breeder of my dog) she's very sweet and I've known her since she was born and have always had a soft spot for her. Breeder feels she'd be happier in a home without so many other dogs around so she could get more love and attention. She was her son's dog, but he moved out and left her. She's also the full sister to my dog's Dad, same litter.

So now that we have that out of the way, she is the ONLY dog my neutered male has ever humped. He just loves humping her and she's too sweet to tell him otherwise so she just sits down. I feel badly for her and no matter ho much I correct him, he goes right back for more.

My question is, if she gets spayed will he stop having the urge to hump her? Also, she's 9 is it even safe to spay her at her age? I don't know that I'm willing to take on a dog that still comes into season. I haven't mentioned these concerns to my friend at this point as this all sort of came up last night.

if the dog is otherwise in good health it should be perfectly fine to have her spayed.

Spaying her may or may not lessen the humping. especially if he's already established the habit.

it will most likely take lots of time and patience to stop him (correcting every time). Even if you spay her. Very doable but it won't be an quick fix and will require patience and consistancy. I wouldn't leave them together alone unsupervised for awhile though (either one is crated or separate rooms). at least for the first while (mind you I dot his with any dogs, i never let new dogs loose in teh house together - not for many weeks).
    Last edited by Tanya; 08-28-2015 at 02:28 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

stella3 (08-28-2015)

Senior Dog
    ^ This.

But also...dogs (male and female) who resent being humped but don't get aggressive to correct the humper just sit down. It gets the point across without major attitude. Unless your male pursues his interest after she sits down and provokes her to get angry, you really shouldn't have much of a problem until you can get him to act correctly in her presence.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

stella3 (08-28-2015)

House Broken
    Thanks, I kind of wish she'd just give him a good snarl!!! I have a lot to think about over the next few days.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by stella3 View Post
    Thanks, I kind of wish she'd just give him a good snarl!!! I have a lot to think about over the next few days.
    But if the humper is really intent, a snarl...or more...won't deter him. I had to yank a Border Collie off Danny a few years ago because Dan was actually beginning to fight and the dog...whose owner was clueless and doing nothing...wasn't letting up. Rocky the Humper is no longer allowed to get close to my dogs...he hasn't stopped his ways...but he's a lovely dog for people to pet.

I've seen fights start over the snarl of a humpee and much prefer the silent sit...and owner correction.

House Broken
    As it turns out my friend just called me and her son is going to take her after all. He and his fiancé just signed a lease on a dog friendly house. She won't have to be humped! While I'm relieved, I'm also kinda sad. I was looking forward to another big, black, snoring, bed hog. It always works out for the best in the end!

Sorry you won't be getting her. Seniors are awesome. We home seniors and I think they are the best of the best. Have had spays and neuters done at older than 9 and they did fine.

Do agree with Tanya about your dog humping. Training is the answer.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos