Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I panicked!

I panicked!

Took Sam for a walk last night even though I'm getting over being really sick with the flu and bf has been doing all the dog work for me thank god. But he was at work and Sam needed to go so I went. I made him walk slow and he was being pretty good. We get to the part of the hood where this rottweiler lives. He's often tied up outside and whenever we walk by, he FREAKS the F out. And not in a friendly way. He growls, barks, pulls at his tie, he looks and sounds really mean. Several times my bf and I have remarked that it's only a matter of time before he gets loose and it's going to be bad.

So you know where this is going. We walk by and there he is, thrashing and barking and scaring me like usual. Sam pauses like always and I tell him to just keep going. I look down at him for two seconds and when I look up, the rott has broke his tie (which was damn pathetic for this dog btw) and had sprinted half the distance over to us.

I panicked. In my defense, I hadn't been feeling well and was pretty weak from having not eaten a lot in the past few days and I don't think I was thinking clearly. I threw out my hands and just screamed NO NO NO. Awesome huh.

The dog reaches us and i'm trying to pull Sam behind me because evidently I can wrestle a rottweiler, but Sam is glued to the spot in fear. I have thoroughly spooked him. The rottweiler reaches us and I scream go home. And he's like 'whats up dog, let me sniff your butt'. He was totally friendly and just wanted to say hi.

The owner must've heard me freaking out because he opens the door but doesn't come out. I scream 'your dog scared the **** out of me', and he finally comes outside. He barely looks at me, the dog runs home. I get not apology, no explanation, nothing. What a douche. Thank god that dog turned out to be friendly, but how was I to know that. The way he carried on, we thought he totally wanted to rip our throats out.

Anyway, it really surprised me how bad I was in the situation. I need to up my game. I do carry pepper spray with me but that dog was on us in seconds. I didn't have time to grab it before it would've been too late to use it. What would I have done if that dog had started in on my dog? It really scared me. I think I need to start carrying heavier protection but what can I carry around my neighborhood that's not too big and bulky and won't alarm other people? I have my conceal/carry but I have reservations about that (especially in summer when i'm not wearing extra clothes). I suppose the biggest problem is that I kept walking by that house even though I knew it could mean danger. I should be more careful.

SCARY!

It would be better to take a different route. Actually, you did not do too bad. I've heard that standing your ground and being a barrier between you and your dog, and telling the dog in a firm voice NO, or GO HOME can work. I'd hate to be in the position to have to try it though.

Thank goodness the rottie was just wanting to meet both of you.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I've always wondered what I would do if my dog were in actually attacked. Then last week there were a group of dog owners who all know each other gathering, a strange dog came in the mix and a fight started to break out. Escalating quickly, 5+ dogs starting to circle around two other dogs. The owner of the dog who was getting attacked just went bizzerk screaming "GET AWAY" "HEY" "GET OUT OF HERE" and waving her arms around. It was astounding, but actually did stop the aggression long enough to grab the dogs that were getting rowdy.

Don't know if this is the right approach, but it gave me something to think about.

Glad it worked out the way it did.

I don't see what more you could have done. I think your story is a good example of how pepper spray isn't as great as people think. Unless you carry it in your hand, ever ready to use it's "please wait mean dog while I get it out, aim and fire." And then did you make running assessments of wind direction as you walked? Oh you didn't, pepper spray yourself and your own dog.

I have stood my ground and yelled GO HOME and managed to keep a dog from getting close to mine, more than once.

As to the owner not coming out, that can backfire. Some dogs will ramp up if they think they're about to get backup from the owner. Just moving toward your dog can make it think you support what it's doing. That's why you never chase your dog if it gets loose. That might not be why that owner didn't come out but it might be a good thing he didn't.

So glad you are both all right. Poor Rottie, sounds like it might be starved for exercise and playmates.

You did good actually. I also carry pepper spray for these conditions exactly with idiot dog owners. Before I carried the pepper spray, I was in a situation like yours a few times. A 120lb Shepard came flying over the bushes at us and I just held up my hand palm facing up and screamed NO!!! Luckily it worked and the dog left. There's been a few times I've had to do that. Going forward I will use the spray if I have to, with other dogs, coyotes, whatever....
    Griffin growing up!

Hidden Content

Griffin Male Black Lab 03/14/16 -

Yukon My Wonderful Yellow Lab 11/20/06 - 03/12/19 Will cherish the memories!!!!
    My Precious Tanner Boy 11/25/02 - 6/25/15 Will miss you always!!!!

You guys made me feel a little better I am still concerned about my abilities to handle a real crisis though lol. I walked away from that altercation with shaking hands and legs and almost had to sit down before we got back home It really did scare me pretty good.

I know we should avoid that spot. The problem is there are so many places I have to avoid around my house because of one stupid thing (or person) or another. I'm running out of places to walk and it's not always feasible with my schedule to drive somewhere to go for a walk. I just wish people weren't so stupid. That dog has obviously gotten loose before. You should've seen the pathetic little rope he broke free from. At any rate, the owner seemed like he couldn't have cared less so I'm sure it'll keep happening. And I also feel sorry for that dog. I thought he was mean but he obviously needs to some love and attention. Poor guy.

Get yourself a stun stick, (if using a gun is not an option where you live). Either should be used only if you have no other option. What you did should be the first thing to do and often works but it is nice to have additional back up in the event it is necessary. I worry more about strange people and wild animals like coyotes.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

How does a stun stick work? If the two dogs are in contact with each other does the charge go into the second one? Like a chain of kids on an electric fence where the last one in line is actually the one who gets zapped?

If not, then does it matter how big the dog is? Would a charge need to be a certain strength for a big dog but be too high for a little dog?

I'm pretty sure they are not legal here but I've wondered.

Senior Dog
    I’ve successfully used the “GO HOME” on a number of loose dogs before, including a HUGE pit bull. The two actual incidents I’ve had both involved sporting breeds, not dogs you would think of as a problem - those have all behaved, LOL.

The slightly scary incident I had with Chloe a while back was with a neighbor’s loose chocolate Lab. She started posturing at Chloe who tried to ignore her at first but the dog was off lead and we couldn’t get away from her. Not sure who escalated first, but next thing I knew the two bitches were on their hind legs snarling and snapping (not actually trying to draw blood at that point). I grabbed Chloe in a headlock and whacked the other dog in the head with the handle of my Flexi. That was enough to get her to cease and desist and as soon as she backed down, Chloe settled down too.
    Another time a different dog (English Setter mix) came charging over to where we were walking Chloe, Mulder and Jolie. Jolie completely ignored him (she was furthest from him). He charged at Chloe who just stared at him and lifted her lip slightly which was enough for him to back away. Then he jumped on poor Mulder who was probably 13-14 at that point. Lots of growling and biting but didn’t draw blood - I think he was just trying to dominate someone, anyone and Mulder wasn’t fighting back. The owner was there but was useless so I had to pull the dog off of Mulder - he was a big boy and when I grabbed his collar I couldn’t get enough leverage so I ended up wrapping my hand in his hair and yanking. He did turn and snap at me but it was just a little scratch. Fortunately Mulder wasn’t hurt but I have never been so angry in my life.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

I would have done the same thing! Its a scary situation but you handled it well!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos