Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Stella update . . . I've lost track

Another vet visit/follow-up today to have the troublesome oronasal fistula examined. Stella's appetite is good, drinking well, energy fine, alert and aware, occasional not-sneezes, more nose-blows. Everyone was knocking on wood. I was mentally prepared for bad news. Stella was fine on the car ride. She began stressing the minute we walked in the clinic, more so when we entered the exam room, even more when Dr. Vallee walked in.

He gently looked at the more robustly healing left side. Even more gently looked at the more delicate right fistula site. Pronounced the left one looks pretty good. The right one . . . there is some tissue regression in the flap covering the fistula yet the fistula is not evident. Yet another follow up next Tuesday afternoon. It will be with Dr. Landry since Dr. Vallee is on emerg call next week at another, distant, clinic in the network. Dr. Landry is instructed to contact him right away if the fistula is unresolved. If unresolved then we proceed with a referral.

So it was a guardedly optimistic visit. We played 'Find it!' after dinner: I put her in a sit-stay in the laundry room. I put dabs of salmon pate in a few places around the house for her to find then said 'Find it!' (Achilles was outside.) We'll continue on pate, puree, and light exercise.

I fervently hope Stella will be cleared. Yet what happens, happens. Fingers, toes, and paws crossed.
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

I like "guardedly optimistic. ". Here's to continued healing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Macy For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (09-01-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I like "guardedly optimistic. ". Here's to continued healing.
    Thank you. Stella has been remarkably good throughout this, yet enough is enough. The vet was a little concerned about how she would take to canned food. No cause for concern, she's scarfed every bit of every meal. I'm a bit concerned about the transition back to kibble and might consider a mixed diet.

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

Tsk, if only we could remove the "guardedly" part. Continued good thoughts for complete improvement soon.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (09-01-2015)

Sounds like she's been quite a good trooper. No wonder she's not thrilled to have to go back so often but hopefully it will all be behind her (and you!) soon.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (09-01-2015)

Stella has been through the wringer with dental work. I can't say I blame her for being gun shy of the vet at this point. Here's hoping the last fistula continues to heal and Stella can put this adventure to bed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JackK For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (09-01-2015)

Oh, do hope that her mouth heals completely. Poor Stella and Archie, fistulas at both ends.

When going back to kibble, you could try putting some kibble in the blender and breaking it up some and mix with the soft food. Slowly change over to all kibble at full size.

Sending more healing prayers.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

12. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (09-01-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Oh, do hope that her mouth heals completely. Poor Stella and Archie, fistulas at both ends.

When going back to kibble, you could try putting some kibble in the blender and breaking it up some and mix with the soft food. Slowly change over to all kibble at full size.

Sending more healing prayers.
    Matching fistulas. How is Archie's?

Your changeover idea is a good one. Thank you!

Sending more good thoughts the healing continues and is complete for the next visit!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (09-02-2015)

Senior Dog
    More good thoughts from me for sweet Stella...you've been through a lot together lately.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (09-02-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos