Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A break from the heat.

It's been an unseasonably hot several days in the banana belt. High temperatures have ranged around 30C or 88F. We've been mired in a humid, stale, unpleasant high pressure airmass pushing humidex readings into the high 30s and nudging 40C or 104F.

We don't have central air conditioning and have relied on old fashioned ways to minimize the discomfort. Windows open at night into the morning, fans on and sucking in what cool air there is. Closing windows and drapes during the day to keep hot air out. Taking cool showers on the really unpleasant days. Spending time out on our shaded deck, appreciating what breezes there are. Running fans

Relief arrived today. While afternoon thunderstorms didn't bring rain, cool outflow winds dropped the temperature here from 30 or 86F to 20 or 68. Now we have had two good showers, nice to hear the rain fall. It has become an unexpectedly pleasant evening. What a blessing!

How is the weather where you are?

ETA: There is a rumble of thunder and here comes Achilles to lay down right at my feet.
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

Hot, humid, typical. The news did say we would get a break of mid 80's over the weekend, unfortunately the humidity makes it very unpleasant. Thankfully it is not as bad as it has been! I would love to see 68°, that would feel like heaven!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

We're getting that break in a few hours. Fortunately, we have a really good window A/C unit so we have been able to keep our living room nice. It wasn't nearly as hot here though - about 10 F less than where you are.

This break is a very pleasant surprise. Before today, the near-term and extended forecast presented an unbroken streak of hot, humid, little chance of rain weather into the middle of next week. I can hear that our rain barrels are overflowing; the overflow hose is watering the turf. We are quite blessed that things have turned. At least for now. The weekend still looks warm and humid.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    Hot, humid, typical. The news did say we would get a break of mid 80's over the weekend, unfortunately the humidity makes it very unpleasant. Thankfully it is not as bad as it has been! I would love to see 68°, that would feel like heaven!
    We will try to send some of this cooling weather your way.

Quote Originally Posted by janedoe View Post
    We're getting that break in a few hours. Fortunately, we have a really good window A/C unit so we have been able to keep our living room nice. It wasn't nearly as hot here though - about 10 F less than where you are.
    Hope that break comes!
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

This has been a miserably humid summer, way worse than normal. I can't say I'm happy to see Fall arrive, but I've pretty much had it with the humidity this summer.

Swear we must live in the same town. It's been exactly the same here. It was 90 and very humid today but about 7 PM the temp had dropped to 75. Still somewhat humid but at least much cooler. Tomorrow is supposed to be high in the mid 70's. Hurray.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Hot. Been having highs in the mid-90s with the heat index at 100 or above. That is pretty typical here for this time of year though. I’m actually going to be flying into Toronto next month and am wondering how much cooler it will be there compared to here. Last time I was there was back in June, and it was noticeably cooler especially in the evenings, which was nice.

Well, it cooler today but still humid.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I was about to say, Poptop, your not that far away for our weather to be so different. It has been Hot and Humid. So Humid I wake up in the morning and the windows have moisture outside from the air conditioning inside. Going to be a very hot weekend here in the high 80's and low 90's then supposed to cool off back to normal.

Hot and humid. Ick.

I'm all for summer and warmth, but the humidity is what gets me. I hate stepping outside and not being able to breathe! Don't get me wrong, I love the sunshine and warm weather, but once the humidity starts rising, I'm out.

We did get a ton of rain last night which helped, but even today it's still a bit humid. 90s this weekend, but the pool heater broke a few weeks ago and the water is 76F. Too cold for an enjoyable afternoon in the pool.

I guess we shouldn't complain. Wait about 3-4 months and we'll all be posting about how there's 3ft of snow outside and the temperature is below zero!
    ~Alyssa
    Hidden Content
    In memory of Katie 3/20/94 - 2/19/07

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos