Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Should I switch?

i have a 8 weeks labrador and currently feeding him Pro Plan Focus chicken and rice. I been feeding him 3/4 cup 3 times a day but he never finish it. Should I try feeding him 4 times a day or he is just not liking the food and switch? Or is it too hard for him? Any advice would be appreciated.

Approximately how much does the puppy weigh?

How is his health? Is he active and healthy looking? Has he been in for a vet check-up yet? How is his poop?

That's a fine food for a puppy, not too hard. It could be too much. I think I fed my puppies about that much, maybe even less (I can't remember) when they were that age and they were in the high teens/low 20s for weight. They were on the larger side.

Puppy
    He is currently 12.2 pounds. Yes he is active and healthy looking. He been to the vet and have his first set of shots already. The poop looks normal. I'm just worry that he is not getting enough food. At the same time I don't want to over feed him as well.

Maxx was almost 19 lbs at almost 9 weeks when he came home. He came home on a food similar to Pro Plan, 1 cup, 3 times a day. I definitely would not change the food and I bet he will have a growth spurt very soon and will finish the amount you are feeding him and probably need more!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

If your puppy is eight weeks old you most likely just got him. Everything is probably new and different to him which is why he might not be eating the same amount that he did at the breeders. Personally, I see no reason to change his food. You could try wetting it with warm water and letting it soak a few minutes before you put it down. I have always done that.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Agree with all above and especially waiting and wetting. Our breeder had us feed our 8 week old 1/2 cup three times a day and we were to thoroughly soak each meal. Not just wet, soak. Prepare the meal for supper when we fed the meal for lunch. The kibble was mush. Your breeder knows more about your puppy than anybody else in the whole world. Most likely you were sent home with detailed instructions and a recommended bag of food. Check with your breeder if anything is not working or you need (maybe you can't buy that food where you are?) a change.

Yes, how many days have you had puppy? Puppies should not leave their mother and siblings till they are 8 weeks old.

Senior Dog
    As others have said, he might still be adjusting to a new situation (depending on how long you’ve had him) or he might just not be that hungry. My two (14 weeks tomorrow) were eating about that amount at 8 weeks - same food. I can’t swear they always finished it, either.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

I'd soak the food and maybe give a little less. My pups are on 2X a day. The lab eats 1 1/2 c each meal (per the breeder) and the Griff eats what the griff eats. I am lucky if she gets 2 cups eaten each day. But she's a different breed and will weigh less as an adult.

Puppy
    Is this still normal or should I be concern? My lab is 10 weeks now and I been still feeding him ProPlan focus. He never seem to be interested in his food or finish his meal. (3/4 cups 3 meals a day) I say he would eat around 1.5 cups a day. I also have another dog a Pomeranian (12 weeks) and feeding him Wellness puppy small breed. I don't keep them together but when my lab get the chance to leave my room he would run straight to the Pomeranian food and eat it like he haven't eaten in days.

Also for the past 2 weeks or so my lab been having soft stool. Could this be because he is teething? I'm planning to buy him FortiFlora to help with the soft stool. Is this a good idea to do? Should I be concern?

His current weight is 16.5 pounds.

Well he is growing so that is good. It is possible he prefers your little dog's food but I would really hesitate to change what the breeder was feeding just yet. Wellness is a great food and certainly something to try later on. (Not the small breed formula though!)

The Forti Flora is perfectly fine.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos