Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Is it normal to feel a bit guilty?

As some of you who were on the old forum know, I'll be getting a parrot in July/August and, despite the fact that I am really looking forward to it, I find myself feeling guilty about it for Koopa. Koopa's my companion and my best bud and I have no intention of changing this but I kinda feel like he's going to be upset that I have another pet and I also feel generally guilty about it. I know most of you have more than one dog or a dog and other pets, did you feel the same when adding the second one or am I just overthinking this? Please share your experiences in the matter

And of course, here is a pic of Koopa taken yesterday, just 'cause :P

SnapV and the One and Only Koopa! (approximate dob: 25/01/2013, gotcha: 30/03/2013)

Hidden Content

See my Etsy store for hand-knit hats and cowls!
    Hidden Content

I think it is normal . I felt this way when I got Cabo, since Tux was my first dog and was used to being an only dog, and used to it being just me and him. Then I got Cabo, and then I married my husband who has Cadbury. Tux adjusted just fine. I try to do individual things with each dog, Cabo is doing agility and Tux is doing barn hunt right now. With only having one dog, it is still easy to take Koopa on outings and such where it is just you and him.

I am looking forward to pics of Koopa with your new parrot!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

SnapV (06-04-2014)

Look at that handsome face! I am not sure I ever felt guilty but I have always had multiple dogs and cats. I always make sure the existing pets get lots of attention and special treatment. Make sure to.make your parrot a positive creature in Koopa's life. I think all will be just fine. Congratulations, I can't wait to see pictures!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

SnapV (06-04-2014)

Ha Ha! I felt that way about adding a second CHILD! I thought my first little one was so very special and didn't want her to be upset by the addition of anyone who would take one iota of attention away from her. Having a second child was probably the best favor we could have done for her.

I don't have pets other than dogs, but adding a second dog has certainly been a joy for all involved. Yes it has been more work, worry, and expense, but I would't turn back for anything. My husband thinks Chase is short-changed in the attention department. He's not, he's always been a more aloof dog. Even right now, he's lying by the back door, Lark is by my feet. If she wasn't by my feet, he'd still be at the back door. Each pet will bring joy to your home in their own special way. Your parrot won't be going out to the park with you or sitting out at a cafe with you, that will still be Koopa's special domain. I'm sure it will work out fine.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

SnapV (06-04-2014)

Yeh I think its normal.

I think because Koopa will be your only dog then nothing much will change at all. It gets harder when you start adding more dogs, I have to make sure everyone gets there own time and no one is left out. I start to feel guilty when im tired and I just want relax and all 4 want to play, want love, need a walk and so on

Parrots are cool, post some pics when you bring him home

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

SnapV (06-04-2014)

I think it's natural. We also have a cat ( indoor only ). I get sad about not seeming to give her as much attention because Jax is still young. With that he needs training, potty breaks, walking, etc. So he does get more time than her. Truth be told I think my son gets jealous too. So I fixed that by 'letting him' do potty breaks and walks. He hasn't complained lately-ha.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jax's Mom For This Useful Post:

SnapV (06-04-2014)

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    Each pet will bring joy to your home in their own special way. Your parrot won't be going out to the park with you or sitting out at a cafe with you, that will still be Koopa's special domain. I'm sure it will work out fine.

Yes! No worries! Be excited! Koopa very well may like the addition of another animal. The first thing you need to teach the parrot is Koopa's name.

And I can't wait to hear about your parrot. Congrats! Oh and lots of pictures please.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thndrkttn For This Useful Post:

SnapV (06-04-2014)

I think its normal! I can't wait to hear how they interact with each other!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kain's Mommy For This Useful Post:

SnapV (06-04-2014)

I think that was a great idea to teach the parrot to say Koopa's name. if the parrot learns "Koopa is a good boy" "Koopa is a handsome boy" they'll soon be best buds. Then, Koopa can teach the parrot "woof, woof" Oh joy!
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kelsyg For This Useful Post:

SnapV (06-04-2014)

It's normal but don't worry. I've found, the more the merrier!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

SnapV (06-04-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos