Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We were almost attacked

In the park we love to walk all the time, the rule is to leash your dogs at all times however some people choose not to abide by the rules. Last night I was standing from picking up from Montana and Dakota and here comes this German Shepard looking type size-beautiful, but off leash and rushing us. Montana ( even with his health issues and age) turned and growled and Dakota barked like mad. I yelled for the dog to stop 3 times but he closed in and the 3rd time I screamed ( like an idiot, and out of fear now) The owner called the dogs name & finally with all 4 of us freaking out the dog stopped, owner re leashed her & took her off down the path. I stood there thanking God my daughter was not with me and that the dog stopped. I am not sure if she was looking to play or not but my dogs, being on leash and not in perfect health do not take well to anyone rushing them and so this alone can cause a problem. Had the dog been rushing in unfriendly and my child was with me...oh my....the owner never said she was sorry, not a word and just left. Local police say I should call because it is a violation even if there is no contact. My hands were shaking too badly to be able to make a call and she would have just left anyway..however this I know for next time. Anyone have this happen?

That is so scary, I am so glad no one was hurt! I know how it feels to have your hands shake like that and move to your legs. Not fun, at all. What an ignorant owner.

I have had it happen with friendly and unfriendly dogs. Maxx loves everyone and thinks they should reciprocate, he is clueless sometimes and will then get his feelings hurt. Emma dislikes any dog, (or person), she does not know, she can act very mean. I am lucky the times it has happened there has been another person with me or close enough to help. I do carry protection but I am thankful I have never had to use it.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (09-09-2015)

I carry pepper spray but sadly there was no time anyway.

I do not walk my leashed dogs through parks as this is a common problem. While there can be unleashed dogs on the sidewalk, it's not as common as in parks.

I'm so glad no one was hurt. I love the idea of a dog park, but stories like this make me too overprotective to take him.

Perhaps the owner of the GSD was also scared and shaking. He/she may be posting on a GSD forum right now saying "I was so scared I don't even think I said I'm Sorry".

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (09-10-2015)

Scary! So glad you did not have your daughter with you. Hope you gave the GSD owner a piece of your mind.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

9. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Glad nothing serious happened! Very scary situations when something like this happens. When Sophie was about 4 or 5 months old we were walking through the neighborhood when this giant Cane Corso comes charging at us at a full gallop. Sophie was freaking out, and I was doing my best to control her and stay between the other dog and her. As the dog got closer and slowed down, I stepped towards it in an aggressive manner and with all the confidence I could muster I told him "GO" and pointed my hand toward the direction it came from. Luckily it stopped, and had this confused look, it turned and started walking away, looking over its should back at us. Every time it looked back I'd step forward, point and say "GO". The owner came out and got the dog and was very apologetic. I told him, no harm no foul, but if I ever see the dog out off leash I'm calling animal control. He got the message, haven't seen the dog off leash since then.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys...Pop Top-I didn't say a word and I am still trying to figure out what would have been appropriate to say to her ( and keeping in mind I would want it to be something that is ok to say in front of children as there are often kids there even if my own is not) Really-what should I have said??? I was so mad I kept my mouth shut because I wanted to say "what the f...are you doing????!!!!)
    This is not a dog park either-this is a regular place to go bike riding, walking, walk dogs ( ON leash) Once about 2 years ago a pit bull rushed us from a far enough distance that his idiot owner screamed at him & he stopped. Had they been closer I don't even know-that scared me too. And once again my daughter was not there thankfully as it was too cold for her that day.
    As it is a public place that I absolute love to take my daughter & dogs to, I have to just be prepared to speak up next time and make the phone call. I ran into someone else who walks there with his dog regularly & he said you know had you said something to that girl she would either have told you off or just ignored you. He felt bad fro us as his dog is very afraid of other dogs & this would have been real trouble for him as well.

The same thing happened to us yesterday. It was a neighbor's Lab mix dog. She (Dory) and our Malamute Mia don't like each other. Mia is leash reactive and intolerant of other dogs. Dory came rushing at us after we started our walk. Luckily the owner was able to call her back so nothing happened. Scary regardless.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Meeps83 For This Useful Post:

I have said something to people in the park when rushed by their off-leash dogs. Sometimes it was friendly, sometimes it was not, and I was either ignored and told to go eff myself. The last time it happened I had a fit and asked the lady if she owned the park and if the rules did not apply to her. There are signs all over the place. One time someone's dog was off-leash and before it could get close to us I told them if that if my dogs killed her dog it would not be my fault. That made her move fast to get the dog! After those encounters is when I decided it wasn't worth walking through the park. Sad.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos