House Broken

regarding the feeding amount

Somehow I was not able to edit my last post. Sorry I have to open a new thread on the dog food problem.

When I fed Royal Canin to my dog, we fed her 3 cups a day with totally almost 1000 calories. Now we switched to Acana Wild Prairie, which has a much higher calories per cup so we have to change to even less than 2.5 cups a day to keep the same calorie level. However, my dog feels or at least she seems to be hungry on Acana, probably she thinks she eats much less now. It makes me think of this question: how can we feel full if we eat high calorie food in a small amount? Say if we eat a few pieces of bread as breakfast, we feel full. If we want to have cheese instead, probably we can only eat a small bit to maintain the same calories level. To feel full, I think I would go with bread rather than cheese. But we are all told that high quality dog food is good and we only need to feed a small amount. However, isn't it bad if the dog always feels hungry?

I cannot think through this problem. Need your thoughts. Thank you!

I think you might be thinking about this too much.

If your dog is at a healthy weight for her size and is maintaining, she is fine. If you feel like the dog is hungry and it would make you feel better, throw some veggies in her bowl. Raw zucchini, broccoli, green beans, whatever is in season and she will eat. Even some apple or banana is fine.

House Broken
    Yes, veggie is a good idea! I give her apple and carrot almost once every other day. Maybe I can give her more. I have to admit I have thought about this too much. As a first time dog owner, I easily got worried about everything. lol

I find if the fat content of a food is too low, the food is going to go thru too quickly, and thus, the dog feels hungry. Maybe take a look at the protein to fat ratio of the 2 foods and see if there is a trend. Most "healthy" diets for us people are pretty high in protein (it helps burn fat). You MAY have to add fish oil or coconut oil in order to slow the passage of the food (ie keep it in the gut longer) to satisfy your pup. I have this problem occasionally here but mine find their own supplements if I don't give enough.... apples and walnuts are their happy snacks!
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

House Broken
    Thank you for the information. Acana does have a high fat percentage compared with Royal Canin.

I personally don't think Royal Canin is a "bad" food. I wouldn't get caught up in the online websites and reviews. It sounds like your dog was doing well on the other food and you switched to make you feel better. Been there. Done that. And I've learned my lesson. My go to food right now is Pro Plan. In the past I wouldn't have dreamed feeding it because I was a dog food snob, but my dogs do really well on it and you can't argue with results. I feed the occasional bag of something else but always end up back on Pro Plan.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Labs always act like they're starving. Don't be guided too much by that.

Senior Dog
    I would probably keep her on the same amount of 3 cups per day.

I have always fed Toby three cups per day...so that he maintains his weight and feels satisfied.

You don't want a hungry Lab!!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos