Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Potty Frustration

Hello,
    I have a 5 month old chocolate named Jade.
    Until recently I used to take her to our backyard to do her business (pee & poo) and in less than 5 minutes we were back in. The last few days, she has been wondering around and playing for quite some time before things get done... Winter is coming and I am not looking forward to waiting outside in the cold. I have tried to leave her on her own until she does what she has to do but she just hangs out beside the side door until I go with her...
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...
    Thanks,
    jeanped
    Hidden Content Meet Jade...

if you haven't already, i would work on training a cue for potty. Others may have a better way to training this but something like saying "good potty" every time they go and rewarding. maybe try to say "potty" (Or whatever word) when you see they are about to go (about to squat) and then reward.

you can use any word. unfortunately i always pick "peepee" haha.

sometimes removing toys helps (they come out when you play and are put away when you come back in).

we do potty walks in the morning. even in the rain/winter i do go out with my two to get them to pee. Rock won't go outside without me

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

jeanped (09-11-2015)

I use "go potty" and I am so sure she understands me since in the past, she would start to sniff around and do pee, then after a short spell poo... but not anymore. I am getting very frustrated since I have to get to work, but I think she is feeling my frustration.
    Hidden Content Meet Jade...

I usually bribe with a cookie when I am in a hurry and want to get back in. He always, always comes for a cookie. "Do you want a cookie? Inside!" And he comes like a bolt of lightning.

When Theo was about that age, I would put him on a leash to go out to potty if I was in a hurry. That way I didn't have to chance him lollygagging and making me late for work.
    Hidden Content Theo 8/14/14

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura For This Useful Post:

jeanped (09-12-2015)

likely yes, seems the more frustrated and in a hurry i am the longer they take

honestly I just try to get them outside a bit earlier so i am not as stressed (even if it means waking up 5 minutes earlier so I have 5 extra minutes). Does she get any exercise in the morning before work?

Or sometimes just taking them out on leash is more efficient as they can't play.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

jeanped (09-12-2015)

Before work I have to take the pups out on leash and walk them around the block to make sure they've gone and done both, rain or shine. Especially rain and snow. I have to plan that walk into my prep time. Sometimes they'll go on their own, and they used to go on command, but after a night of sleep they like to check out the latest aromas. Rather than opening the door and just letting her out to go, you might need to take her out on a leash so she's not distracted by other interesting things. If she hasn't gone after 5 minutes, take her back in and try again in 10 minutes or so.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

jeanped (09-12-2015)

dogs can be real time sucks in the morning when you're in a hurry haha The latest thing in my house is Penny won't eat her food downstairs anymore (unless I stand there). I don't have time to stand there while she eats (she is no where near as fast as Rocky anymore) so the new plan is to feed her upstairs in front of the washroom door (open) while I do my hair

My pups get a morning walk each day, no matter the weather. about 20-30 minutes. They generally do their business there. But it's about 45-60 minutes after the walk that I leave for work so I let them back out. Sometimes Rocky won't pee again, at his age I just tell him he knows the deal and will have to hold it in til I am back from work At this point i do just go back in even if he hasn't gone - he knows the drill.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

jeanped (09-12-2015)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    Before work I have to take the pups out on leash and walk them around the block to make sure they've gone and done both, rain or shine. Especially rain and snow. I have to plan that walk into my prep time. Sometimes they'll go on their own, and they used to go on command, but after a night of sleep they like to check out the latest aromas. Rather than opening the door and just letting her out to go, you might need to take her out on a leash so she's not distracted by other interesting things. If she hasn't gone after 5 minutes, take her back in and try again in 10 minutes or so.
    We have a doggie door and they all (even the puppies) just take themselves out when they need to go, but I do attach a word to it (usually “go pee” or “go poop”) and by the time they are a few months old they know what it means (even my 14 week old pups know what “go pee” means but haven’t mastered the other, LOL) and will usually go on command if they have to. My first thought was to take her outside on a leash, ask her to do her business and if she doesn’t, then put her back in a crate (so similar to Sue’s advice) for few minutes before trying again. Since you are doing this right before leaving for work, does that mean that this signals she will about to be crated for a few hours? Maybe that’s why she is procrastinating - in which case maybe take her outside a few minutes earlier to give her some time to play, work out her kinks etc.

My young puppies are crated when we are out, but since we are not on a regular schedule of when we are going to be out (my husband works from home, I only have to go in to work once a week) they haven’t learned yet that if we go out with them and ask them to go it means they will be locked up for a while. If it happened every day I’m sure they would figure it out though.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

jeanped (09-12-2015), Tanya (09-11-2015)

Does Jade ever go potty when out on a walk away from your house? I wonder if she is old enough for this yet but all my dogs have preferred to bathroom, especially poop, away from their own yard. And they will hold on till they can. Oban will go out first thing for a big pee (HURRY UP) but he expects a walk by around 10:00 and he won't poop (FINISH) till we go for the walk. If I tell him has to FINISH in the backyard he will but only once and on a walk he usually does two. I don't think any of my dogs got like this till they were around a year old but, maybe it's something to be on the lookout for?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

jeanped (09-12-2015)

Take her out on a leash, even if you have a fence. Stand still as a tree, no engagement, ask for her to go potty. Another thing that works is walking. One of my dogs is not a consistent pooper. So, I walk them for about 20 minutes in the morning and he goes in the same spot each time, like clockwork.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

jeanped (09-12-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos