Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"I love..." weird little things you love about your Labrador

I love the way the top of my girl's head smells. I get in there and take a big whiff every night when putting her to bed. I usually get dog hair up my nose but its worth it.

What weird or funny or sweet things do you love?

Along the same line, I love the way Mardi smells when she sleeps (around the head). I call it her sleepy smell.

Archie has to be destructo dog with his bed in the living room every evening before he'll settle down. Jumps on it, scratches, pushes it around, puts his head down and almost summersaults over onto it. Doofus.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Senior Dog
    I love how Kimber's head smells! It's clean and reminiscent of puppy.

I love so many little things about this dog; I'm trying to think of something that is weird or odd. I'll just go with sweet. Kimber's not a cuddler but at night she loves to sleep in bed with us. She snuggles right up against one of us for half the night, and then around 2 am she'll flop over so that she's snuggled up against the other. Then she reaches her paws out so that she's touching the one that she's not leaning against.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

When he's tired, Murphy loves to climb up on the couch and sleep on the end cushion. He usually has his body on the couch and his head hanging off. I think it's adorable (and I'm not sure how that is comfortable to him but whatever). Plus, when he's really sleepy, he has the most adorable sleeping face. He's still a "puppy", but he scrunches his eyes up really tight and snores loudly LOL
    ~Alyssa
    Hidden Content
    In memory of Katie 3/20/94 - 2/19/07

In the mornings when I get up, Sophie will just lay there on the bed until I let Bruce out of the crate and tell her "let's go". We go down stairs, and Bruce goes right outside as soon as I open the door, but Sophie will just hang inside the house until I get my shoes on, some poo bags, and some treats. Once I'm ready to go out she will go out with me and just hang out on the deck. If it's not wet, I'll sit on the top step of the deck and watch Bruce patrol the yard, and Sophie will sit right next to me and I'll love her up, rubbing her head, and scratching her neck. She just sits there and soaks it in. She'll give me a few kisses on the neck while I'm loving on her. I'll get up and walk the yard with Bruce, and Sophie will sit there and watch us. I'll walk to the gate with Bruce, and that's when Sophie will exit the deck and come over so I can put her leash on for our walk. Been the same basic routine for a couple months now. Sophie really is a complete sweet heart of a dog.

House Broken
    Every one of our trainers comments on how our girl is one of very few if any other dogs they have met who really and truly works for our praise, and looks forward to it more than she does any other reward. If we chose to do so, we could reward her with only words and pets, and the results would be just as good as they are with praise and food or toy rewards. So, that's probably one of the little things I love most about her.

My boy, he used to be so easily distracted, in fact, to a degree we are still working on it. It's so much better than it used to be though. Every day when we go for our walks, when we see certain bigger distractions, he will slow his roll a little, look at me, and when we make it past the distraction, he will nudge my hand just a little. When I look down after the nudge, he is just looking at me, beaming, as if he's so proud of himself. It just makes my heart swell with pride.

Love them both to pieces! There are just a million little things to love, I know, but those were the first that came to mind!

Quote Originally Posted by kimbersmom View Post
    I love so many little things about this dog; I'm trying to think of something that is weird or odd. I'll just go with sweet. Kimber's not a cuddler but at night she loves to sleep in bed with us. She snuggles right up against one of us for half the night, and then around 2 am she'll flop over so that she's snuggled up against the other. Then she reaches her paws out so that she's touching the one that she's not leaning against.
    Thor does the same thing - he's always stretched out in a way that he can touch both of us overnight. It's so sweet!

Thor and I have a kiss game. I kiss his head, then he kisses my cheek. I say "I kiss you!" with a big MWAH! and then he kisses me. We could do it for hours. Never trained him, it just kind of happened. I kiss him a lot.

But my favorite sweet thing is our morning snuggles. When my alarm goes off it's his signal to come cuddle in a certain way. He'll curl up and put his head on my chest and we'll just stare at each other while I give ear scratches. His big brown eyes always seem to say to me "whatever this day brings, it's okay because we're together". It's my single favorite moment of the day. Makes it hard to get out of bed though!
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MightyThor For This Useful Post:

charlie55 (09-14-2015), kimbersmom (09-13-2015), SoapySophie (09-14-2015)

If Fran feels the slightest ache or pain, she's all over me like she's prompting me to do something. If she feels really good, she ignores me or walks away like a put off cat. This behavior is fantastic for diagnosing medical conditions.

I don't think it is odd but it is something I love. When Maxx first wakes up and is still sleepy he lays his head on my shoulder and snuffles in my ear. He does this at least once a day and it is very endearing, to me. He also has that sweet, puppy smell on the top of his head, yum! He does have one habit that makes me laugh every time. When he was a puppy and would get the hiccups, as puppies often do, they would startle him so I would put him on my lap and rub his belly to make him feel better. He is now 4 y/o and doesn't often get them anymore but he still runs to me and wants to be in my lap and have his belly rubbed when he does. I can easily tell it is huccups by the worried face he makes, that face is completely reserved for hiccups!

Emma is a funny, bossy girl. When she wants something there is no doubt that she wants it NOW! She is very vocal and will bark her way to the back door and outside when she wants to go for a walk. She is the biggest snuggle bum and I love the way she snuggles and stretches against me. Her sweet spot is just below her ear, it is so soft and smells so good. I could kiss that spot forever.

I love to watch both Maxx and Emma sleep, their discombobulated positions often cause double takes! There are so many things I love about both of them, it is hard not to smile when I think about them and when I look at them my heart hurts from the love I feel for them.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Like all of you - I love everything about Charlie. Didn't even think it was possible.

Charlie is not a cuddler or a "shadow" dog. He tucks in bed with us and he has his own pillow and lay there like a person, and only at this time, I can hug him like a teddy bear and he won't get up.

It is like he thinks, ok you can have your 5 minutes LOL.
    In the morning he jumps back onto our bed, as if we can't feel a 70 lb dog jump on the bed and lays back on his pillow, I get to hug him again. This is my favorite part of my days.

I love that when I say something to Charlie in a tone of a question, he tilts his head and looks at me like he understands what I am saying. He will tilt his head, side to side, at each tone of my voice.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos