Puppy

Crowdfunding sites... Any experience?

As the title suggests, I am looking for suggestions for a crowdfunding website.

Please know this: I am NOT asking for donations here. Just recommendations.

Our newest pup, Foster, is 5 months old. He is super lovable and excitable, and he hops like a kangaroo when he's excited. Today, apparently, when Daddy went home at lunch to spend time with him, he hopped as normal (just straight up into the air), and when he came down, he broke his leg. I don't know the full details yet, as they are at the emergency surgeons, which is over an hour away. I know it's a 'rare' break, and that when they x-rayed him, they saw that both of his hips have issues, also. We'd wondered about that, as he's been displaying signs of hip dysplasia, but his appointment for that was in the near future.

All that to say, we're looking at at least $5,000 for the leg surgery, and more if his hips need done. I'm highly interested in trying crowdfunding to help us. I've read about a few, but I really didn't want to let everyone we know know that we need help, so gofundme kind of makes me wary. I don't know why it seems embarrassing, but...

Anyhow, any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance, and please keep our little guy in your thoughts and prayers.

so sorry, poor pup and poor you!

read the fine print. there are so many crowd funding sites now. some of them take a good cut of $ from each donation. Your Caring I think charges less

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

dd's mommy (09-17-2015)

No experience with crowd funding but just wanted to say that I'm keeping foster in my thoughts for a speedy recovery.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

dd's mommy (09-17-2015)

If Foster is a pure bred Lab you might be eligible for some funding from Labrador Life Line. There's also lots of funding sources on our site. Labrador Life Line - Saving Lives, One Lab At A Time

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bestadmom For This Useful Post:

dd's mommy (09-17-2015)

I was going to mention Labrador Lifeline too.

Also, if you got him from a breeder, check your paperwork. Many times if you do the xrays and send to OFA for eval and they report back Hip Dysplasia, the breeder will refund the purchase price .... whatever is in the contract.

My feeling with crowd-funding sites, the people that get money ... it tends to be money from friends/family. I never donate money to random people I don't know who need help with their dog. But if you have a lot of generous friends and family, why not try.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

dd's mommy (09-17-2015)

Puppy
    Thanks, guys.

Foster is a rescue pup; a beagle-lab mix. Dr's orders: 10 minutes of activity a DAY, and no jumping, playing, running, etc for 8 WEEKS. With a 5 month old puppy.

We have no idea how we're going to do this. Put us humans in your thoughts, too, hehe.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos