Bummer. Organized training done until February

What do you do with your dogs when the winter comes along? People are predicting (please, God...) that we're going to have a big winter with lots of snow. RD would probably have a ball pulling a snowboard around the neighborhood. I'm kinda old for that though.

Inside training and we still train outside for nose work and tracking unless it is bitter cold and just too much snow on the ground.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Senior Dog
    They are predicting a milder than usual winter here so we will train up until the snow gets deep. We normally take mid Dec to the end of January off and then start training in a friend's horse arena. Not ideal but at least we can do drills and throw some short marks. We also use a large parking lot but have to be very careful if it gets icy.

Solidify basic OB work. Work on steadiness. Throw bumpers with no retrieve, have RD stay while you pick up bumpers.

Did you ever find a training facility that would allow your e-collar? We're doing nose work right now and I'm hoping to get back into agility. I bet your girls would be good at and enjoy both of them.

Horse arena... that might work. There are riding facilities around here. I'll check in to those. (Hark* I just checked my book shelf and found I have Building a Retriever Drills and More by Carol F. Cassity. I have never had a chance to really take advantage of it and maybe... I'll see if I can get the facility.) There are small parks that will be deserted over the winter. If they aren't covered with snow... I could use them.

Obedience. I think I should put my calendar out and keep track of what we do, what we focused on. With and without a bumper.

I did not find an obedience club that would allow the e-collar. But RD has matured over the summer. In the field, her focus is really on me, she's less vigilant for other dogs to mess with. I will include PetSmart in our obedience venues. If she gets to where she can focus on me there... maybe I'll feel more relaxed about safety in a real dog class. (You probably read the post on another thread about Molly being attacked. Dear God... I would feel horrible if RD did anything rude, let alone violent, to another dog.)

Senior Dog
    I have Carol Cassity's book,there are some drills in it that adapt to the arena. We also do some of Dennis Voigt's 25 Essential drills. We were out yesterday and to-day. Did an ABC drill called the diamond. Tight marks and passing old falls. It was good especially for the dogs having difficulty checking up on short marks. M is having an issue with blinds right now so we are going to back up and do the 3 leg, diversion and split drill to get her over her pouts. There is a hunt test here on the 26-27th so my sister and I will run her in the JH. I have to judge a master so Eden will run her the first day. Hopefully we can put 2 legs on her and finish it in October. After the hunt test one of our western pro is going to stop in for a few days of pre-national training. That should be fun. Our Open National is later this year. Hope we can get down to watch for a day or 2.

House Broken
    We trained outdoors all last winter due to less snow than usual. It was COLD but we got a lot of good work in!

The book you have is good, as is the 25 essential drills mentioned above. I also plan to run LOTS of tough blinds this winter.

A local-ish club hosts informal field trials once a month all winter. They are really popular and can get pretty competitive! Looking forward to those!!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos