Puppy

Anyone dealing with Masticatory Muscle Myositis?

Hi Everyone!
    I was hoping to be able to relate with other dog owners that have gone through this condition. A couple months ago, Cobalt was diagnosed with Masticatory Myositis. It's been really difficult to deal with. For those that don't know, it's a disease where their body is attacking and killing the Type 2 muscle fibers in the dog's head. Cobalt has been through a whirlwind trying to fight it. He was initially on prednisone for a 6 week dosage, weaning him down every 2 weeks. After the first week, we noticed a big difference. He was just about back to his normal self. After the third week (a week into the lower dosage of steroids), we saw him in a lot of pain and his eye began to swell (another symptom of the disease). We took him to the vet where it was determined he needed to be on a higher three month dosage, weaning down every month. It's been over two weeks into it, and he just seems so sad. The muscles in his head are still disappearing. He's still eating just fine, but I'm just so worried that he isn't getting any better.

Has anyone else gone through this? Can you provide some insight? Or even just your story?

Thank you!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to chalstromn For This Useful Post:

katALlabs (09-15-2015)

I'm sorry I don't have a story for you, I've never heard of this disease. I'm sorry to hear Cobalt is going through this. Isn't he pretty young? I hope you've caught it early enough for treatment to lead to a good outcome!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    I am so sorry your dog is going through this.

How old is your dog?

I believe the results from treatment are more favorable, if it is caught early.

Puppy
    He's 3 and a half. It apparently is pretty common for dogs around three. Well not common, but when it happens, it's usually around 3 years of age. We caught it before the muscle atrophy really started but the muscles have been disappearing since we've had him on the meds for it. It happens that way sometimes but we were told if he was off of the meds it would be progressing faster.

We were able to play tug with him last night a little which we haven't been able to do for about a month. Heck we haven't really been able to play with him for about a month. The poor guy has just been lying around, sometimes comes to get petted but just lays down. There's been times we have to carry him from room to room because he just doesn't have the energy. It's so difficult to deal with this at such a young age. We weren't anticipating having to deal with this for a long time. All in all, it's been a really rough year for our dogs and us.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Sending good thoughts for Cobalt.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I never understand when the meds are working why they start to pull them off. I am so sorry you and Cobalt are dealing with this, will keep you in our thoughts.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos