Thread: Tricks!

Tricks!

Linus was recently recruited into a local talent agency after being "discovered" at a match. I think it's pretty hilarious and silly, but could be fun, too. I don't have to pay or anything and it's a local, legit business. It was suggested that he learn a few more commands.

We've only been clicker training for nine months I think, but it's his favorite thing in the world. He has gotten good at figuring things out on his own which has really increased his confidence level. He knows quite a bit and/or we are working on a lot of behaviors.

There are some commands they recommend that I am not going to teach, such as showing teeth and limping. Oh, and pretending to mark (pee) on something. That just sounds like a bad idea! But there are a few more that I have no idea how to teach and thought I'd see if anyone has recommendations or books?

Here they are:

- Paw over nose
    - Pray

There are a few more that I'm not sure I can do with him as he is just too "polite" such as:

- Pulling something off the counter
    - Barking
    - Pulling at someone's clothes

Thanks!

That is really cool!! Both of your boys are gorgeous but I am not sure who is who, is Linus your black or your yellow?

I wonder why they would want to teach bad habits. I would not want to teach most of those "tricks". I did teach Maxx to "hide his eyes" when he was a puppy. I just placed his paw over his nose, near his eyes, clicked and treated. He also loves to learn and he would probably do almost anything for an apple slice. He also "holds" my hand very gently, in his mouth, when he wants to show me something or take me somewhere. I didn't actually teach that, I think it came from reinforcing "gentle" when he was teething. I think he taught himself that one, lol! It is probably not a very good thing but he only does it with me and as long as there is no biting I am ok with it. (I actually think it is sweet!) The way you describe Linus he sounds very smart and willing to learn, I have a feeling you can teach him just about anything! Have fun and let us know if we might be able to see something he does!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    That is really cool!! Both of your boys are gorgeous but I am not sure who is who, is Linus your black or your yellow?

I wonder why they would want to teach bad habits.
    Most likely because they might need a dog to play a role doing those things on film for a commercial or TV show. I have a friend whose Border Collie was on the HBO show Girls, and now her rescued Border-Staffy is going to be on Orange Is the New Black next year. She lives in the NYC area though, so there are lots of opportunities.

The one thing I would say, is that if Linus is your black (can’t remember either) I’m not sure how much I would bother with it as black dogs are very rarely used for either TV or print ads - Scully lost out on a print ad years ago to a yellow for that reason - the black dogs just don’t show up as well. If he is the yellow, then go for it, especially if you think (don’t know where you live) that you are close enough to places that would be filming things to have opportunities.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

It's the yellow boy. The talent agency is more commercial and ad-centric versus movies and tv shows, though she's done a few small/independent films. She does a lot of local stuff, car brands (lots of car commercials are filmed here for some reason) and we have a lot of local large businesses. She's done a lot for dog food companies (Purina) and large retail businesses (Target). Her two "stars" are a golden and a shorthaired red weiner dog.

Awwww! Wishing Linus the best of luck in his new career! We can say we knew him when!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

So exciting! Congratulations
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

House Broken
    The book 101 Dog Tricks by Kyra Sundance can show you how to do most of that. If you have facebook, look her up and send a friend request. She accepts them all. Then if you want, you can look for "Spark Teams." I have been joining them (free) to learn tricks towards doing a trick dog title. Tricks that seem like they might cause bad habits (at least in my experience) don't. It's just like any other command, they do it on cue, and that's that. My dogs don't just run around pretending to mark things, and yapping all day long, I promise!

eta, I bet you could also search "Kyra Sundance {insert trick here}" on you tube and find clips. Haven't tried it yet, so don't know if it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by K10 View Post
    The book 101 Dog Tricks by Kyra Sundance can show you how to do most of that. If you have facebook, look her up and send a friend request. She accepts them all. Then if you want, you can look for "Spark Teams." I have been joining them (free) to learn tricks towards doing a trick dog title. Tricks that seem like they might cause bad habits (at least in my experience) don't. It's just like any other command, they do it on cue, and that's that. My dogs don't just run around pretending to mark things, and yapping all day long, I promise!

eta, I bet you could also search "Kyra Sundance {insert trick here}" on you tube and find clips. Haven't tried it yet, so don't know if it would work.
    This is awesome, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Linus knows some "bad habits" tricks. The showing teeth thing, I just don't think he'll do it! He's too nice. And I spent a lot of time teaching him not to mark and stressed over it when I neutered him. LOL! That would cause me anxiety! I would not know where to begin with the limping.

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    This is awesome, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Linus knows some "bad habits" tricks. The showing teeth thing, I just don't think he'll do it! He's too nice. And I spent a lot of time teaching him not to mark and stressed over it when I neutered him. LOL! That would cause me anxiety! I would not know where to begin with the limping.
    Is he used to wearing boots? We had a foster dog who accidentally ripped of a nail. Her paw needed to be wrapped for a few days. She wouldn't put it down the first day. I kind of kept that in mind, and once she was better, I put a boot on one of her feet. Again, she wouldn't put weight on the foot with the boot, so I labeled it "limp" used a clicker, and eventually she would limp when the boot was off. I've taught a couple of other dogs that way. My lab didn't care about having the boot on his foot, so that didn't work with him! I meant to figure out a different way to teach him, and I think there may even be a way in the book that I mentioned, but I just never got back around to trying it!

I haven't attempted the showing teeth trick, but I can't imagine how it's taught. I would think it would be a hard one to teach. And, I don't blame you on the marking with that kind of history! lol!

Have fun with it though! Some of our tricks we learned more as "fluke things" than on purpose. i.e. one of my dogs learned "Speak" because even though she rarely barks at anything, she for some reason barked when we would say "Shake, shake, shake!" which was our cue for our other dog to shake as if he's shaking water off. We clicked and rewarded her for speaking when we said "Shake, shake, shake!" then started saying "Speak, speak, speak!" in the same tone, clicking and rewarding for speaking, then shortened to "Speak!" and clicking and rewarding.... then we started saying "SAY speak!" Then just for "Say..." and now we can say "Say [whatever word we want]" and she will speak, lol.

Likewise, we know a person who says "bless you!" whenever her dog sneezes. She started clicking the sneeze, saying bless you, and rewarding, and now her dog will sneeze on cue when she says "bless you!" I just think tricks are fun because you can take something small, reward it, and phase it into something "trick worthy."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to K10 For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (09-17-2015)

House Broken
    I just went back and saw that you listed pray too!

This one was kind of easy, so I'll go through it real quick!

So, first I had my dog sit in front of a chair. I taught him to put his paws on the chair by luring with a treat, clicking and rewarding, and called it "paws up." Once he got "paws up" down, I started holding a treat in between, but below his front legs, so to get the treat, he would have to put his nose down between his front legs. When his head went down, I clicked, let him have the treat, then started labeling that "say prayers!" For awhile, we did "Paws up, say prayers" until he was used to the trick enough that I could just say "say prayers!" and he would do the whole sequence. Also, at first we just make him wait longer and longer to take the treat while still pretty much luring him by holding it between his legs. We taught him that his release word to take the treat was "Amen!" Eventually, I started to use my hand with no treat to remind him to put his head down, but rewarding from the opposite hand, and after that, I didn't need to do any luring at all to get his head down. It was fun!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to K10 For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (09-17-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos