Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

E collar Defective or not?

I have a six month old lab that is to say the least not playing well with our other two small dogs. My thought was to get an e collar to help curd his bulling. Ordered one from Amazon that is a no name brand for what looked to be a good deal. In a effort to truly understand how aggressive the stock was I tried it on myself at max power and then at its lowest level. I could not tell a difference between the two settings on my finger. Those of you that have experience with e collar chim in as to is it just me are does it sound like it might be defective.

I have an ecollar from Motorola. I've been using for the vibrate and one-way talk, instead of hanging my walkie-talkie off the collar.

I didn't think about trying the zapper until I read your post.
    I don't know what the max setting is on my ecollar I'll have to find the book and look it up, but 0 to 5 is _very_ different.
    0 is just vibrate and a little (if any) zap, as I increment to 5, the zap strength increases.
    I don't know if I want to try higher than 5 on that ecollar.
    It's quite uncomfortable. Pretty close to the bug zapper I have.

T

House Broken
    I can't imagine that there is any six month old labrador that will play 'well' with small dogs!! They may look grown up at that age but are just big bouncing babies - if you wish to mix them with smaller dogs it is a 24/7 supervision job! A couple of months ago I was at that stage with my youngest, where I was protecting him from the older dogs being too rough with him, now I am having to protect the older ones from him! However it was never bad behaviour, it was completely natural behaviour - and at that age they do not differentiate sizes in dogs.

Have always kept Yorkies with my bigger dogs, so I do know what it is like! Plus the Yorkies start the trouble half the time and then tell tales to me!!

e collars ( and I am totally not against them being used correctly) are for reinforcing trained behaviours! You have to train him to be gentle - and it takes a while!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mudlark For This Useful Post:

Maxx&Emma (09-17-2015), Tanya (09-17-2015)

The expectations you have of your puppy are too high. Lab puppies play rough. You got the puppy despite having small dogs, so it sounds like you did not do your research. The dog should not be punished for that, but trained and allowed to mature.

There are other methods such as separation, supervision and redirection, and rewarding for the behavior you want. Lots of people manage Lab puppies with smaller dogs, older dogs, etc. without the use of an e-collar, every day, in fact.

If you are set on using an e-collar, please have a professional show you how to use it. There have been many instances of redirected fear or aggression when using an e-collar incorrectly for something like this and you probably don't want your puppy to turn into a dog that is attacking your small dogs.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (09-17-2015), Maxx&Emma (09-17-2015), Tanya (09-17-2015)

E collars are not for this purpose at all. E collars are for reinforcing trained commands that a dog already knows

You need to supervise at all times and constantly correct and redirect your lab puppy, it takes time. I have raised multiple dogs of many sizes together, it can be done with alot of correction and patience

Larger breed puppies should not be playing with small breed dogs in the first place, small breeds are easily injured

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (09-17-2015), Maxx&Emma (09-17-2015), Tanya (09-17-2015)

In any case, yes, there should be a definite difference in the stimulations on the collar. I find with e collars, you get what you pay for. Dogtra, Tritronics/Garmin are probably the better brands.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Tanya (09-17-2015)

I am not anti-e-collar. But this is an inappropriate use of it. It is a big deal to use and e-collar even if the degree of stimulation is very light and done improperly can really screw the dog up.

It's way easier to do the training right from the beginning than it is to fix it once you've created problems. What have you tried to date to manage your lab around other dogs?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (09-17-2015), Tanya (09-17-2015)

Puppy
    thanks for all the comments. I totally understand where "sarge" is in his age. We spend a tremendous amount of time training him. We are currently in puppy classes and things are going great. Our trainer has suggested this might be a logical next step in his training. We are continuing to train wit positive reinforcement.

This is is my second lab. My frist one was with our family for 10 years and is greatly missed today.

I was really just looking to see anyone else had tried an e collar on themselves as I would not use something like that on my buddy until I understood what I am subjecting him to so as not to cross the line. I really just didn't know if we as humans are more sensitive to it and had nothing else to compare it to.

Quote Originally Posted by J D Brooks View Post
    thanks for all the comments. I totally understand where "sarge" is in his age. We spend a tremendous amount of time training him. We are currently in puppy classes and things are going great. Our trainer has suggested this might be a logical next step in his training. We are continuing to train wit positive reinforcement.

This is is my second lab. My frist one was with our family for 10 years and is greatly missed today.

I was really just looking to see anyone else had tried an e collar on themselves as I would not use something like that on my buddy until I understood what I am subjecting him to so as not to cross the line. I really just didn't know if we as humans are more sensitive to it and had nothing else to compare it to.
    Get a new trainer. And, regardless of time training, he is a baby.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Maxx&Emma (09-17-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    Get a new trainer. And, regardless of time training, he is a baby.

^^This!!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos