Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok, I'm about to give up

I've spent the last two hours trying to enter some local Rally events. Specifically the events in Salisbury Md the first week in November. 5 Shows in 5 day, 3 different clubs. I've clicked on the individual clubs websites, gone to infodog, and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to enter any of them.

I found the premium for one of the clubs, 56 pages. How the hell is a noob like me supposed to figure this crap out? I'm pretty computer and internet savvy, but I'm finding this to be ridiculously hard.

To say this is frustrating would be a gross understatement.

Just some naive questions... are these events AKC? Do Obedience/Rally events not use Entry Express? EE has made things really easier for Club Secretaries and, I suspect, the competitors.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

barry581 (09-18-2015)

Yes AKC events. I just checked the Entry Expess site. Looks like it's for field trial and hunt tests. It's just so damn hard to do. Why can't there be a standardized method to enter events? I can't even find the print out entry forms. I guess it's the way to keep new people from entering, make it so hard to figure out we just give up.

The premiums can get rather long if there are lots of classes. If its a "combination" show, a lot of the premium is taken up with all the conformation classes. I find it easier to print out the premiums and go from there, but wow, 56 pages.... the title page should show you how many rally classes are offered and which days. then I go thru the premium page by page till I find the rally section. Print that part out. sometimes right after that there will be the entry form. print that out. or it may be at the end of the premium. read across the top of the entry and make sure you're using the rally entry, not the conformation or obedience entry. I print out a couple, I usually make a mistake filling it out!. at the end of the premium is usually hotels, local vet, directions.

on Infodog, I clicked on show info across the top, then show calendar, then upcoming, and went down the list. I see Talbot kennel club, 2 listings, the 2nd one is rally (rly), and there's a pdf premium you can click on. further down is the Salisbury Maryland kennel club, with a clickable pdf.
    they all seem to close (entries must be received by the Show Secretary by the closing date) on Oct 21. The show secretary will be listed on the premium, with a physical address, a phone number, and now usually an email address. it will also say who to make cheques out to, and often repeats that on the entry form.

I clicked on the Salisbury Maryland pdf in the rally row, its the big one that lists all three clubs' shows. page 3 of the premium goes thru whats allowed and not (no food in facility, no un-entered dogs, no crates or grooming tables in the main arena, etc) page 5 shows you entry fees, page 11 tells you what awards are offered (ribbons) page 16 tells you what rally classes are offered which days and what the judging assignment for them is (this becomes more important as you progress in your rally career) page 17 tells you rally ring size, and that any qualifying score gets a ribbon, page 18 is an ad for their "preferred" electronic entry service, then its the next club's section for their show days, same info repeated basically. on page 26 they offer a show'n'go drop-in practice, then on page 26 its the 3rd clubs section for their show days. on page 42 is the last clubs info starting.

the important stuff for entries starts on page 48. it gives you several ways to send your entries in, including snail mail with cheques, thru the online service, or via fax machine (using a credit card) the next several pages are repeats of the entry form, print it out (and they also seem to want the back side filled and returned as well). Is there someone where you were taking your classes that can go over the entry with you and help you fill it out correctly? I did that the first and second years! just to make sure I did it correctly!

Also, if an email address is listed for one of the club's show committee people, you could email and ask if they'd or someone they know, help walk you thru it.

good luck! that is one very intimidating premium!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

barry581 (09-18-2015)

the MB-F entry service looks like it would be similar to the Entry Express folks. And I suspect they would be happy to help get you thru the process. The stuff dealing right with entries is starting on page 48. it can be very difficult and confusing. And different Clubs like to use different "electronic" entry services and show secretary services. some are much easier to deal with than others!

Up here, some clubs still do it in-house, and there are NO electronic entries, while others totally assign it to a show secretary service, while still others are doing it in-house but taking email transfers and email/scanned entries. no rhyme or reason, they all seem different.

good luck, I'm sure you'll get it figured out!

edited to ad - page 18 is that ad I mentioned for the 3 clubs' preferred entry service, it will be where you send your entries - they offer several ways to enter, and I suspect they would be happy to help you fill out the forms (after page 48) correctly

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

barry581 (09-18-2015)

You gotta cut through the crap. (I read and respond to 100+ page requests for proposals for a living).

With a big show like this, I'd first determine which days you want to show. Looks like your options are Wednesday through Sunday.

Wed. & Th. is Talbot Kennel Club show. Their prizes are rosettes and a tote for first and ribbons and treats for second. I didn't see any new title ribbons.

Note: There is a show & go on Thursday after best in show. I'd personally not show my dog Wed. and Th. and let him acclimate to the event center and take full advantage of that show & go after 3pm!

Fri. & Sat. is the Salisbury Kennel Club show. Each placement gets a ribbon and toy and they will provide new title ribbons. First also gets a bath towel.

Sun. is the Mispillion Kennel Club show. The show starts an hour later at 8am. They will provide new title ribbons. Dog toys to each qualifier.

I'd then determine who you want to show under. That's a no-brainer for this as it's all the same each day.

Your Superintendent is MB-F and they offer a dial-in service (see page 18). Note they charge $4 PER ENTRY. Ouch!

Page 53 NOT 48 is the beginning of the entry. Pick the show(s) you want to enter. Talbot on Wed., Talbot on Thur., Salisbury on Fri., Salisbury on Sat., Mispillion on Sun. are your options.

HOW TO USE THE ENTRY BLANKUse one entry blank per dog only if information is exactly the SAME for each event. Carefully check the block (blocks)for each event in which you wish to enter your dog. You MUST use a separate entry blank if you are entering yourdog in a different class on different events.

Closing date is Oct. 21 at noon.

Entry fees are on page 5.

Fill out your form.

Does this help?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (09-18-2015), barry581 (09-18-2015), Charlotte K. (09-18-2015)

Hey if you are willing to drive, come on up to Mid Jersey Lab Club specialties. At least two of us from this forum will be at the obedience and rally ring. It closes Sept 30 at noon. Rally is Th and Fr, Oct 15-16. Breakfast and Lunch are free on Th. our super is Rau Dog Shows. A friend just calls them directly to enter.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlotte K. For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (09-18-2015), barry581 (09-18-2015)

Barry, can I walk you though entering this show tomorrow?

The easiest way to enter is on Infodog, because you can print out your confirmation page, and bring it to the show as proof you entered.

Infodog actually simplified their site recently, so it is easier than it used to be. The home page has a bunch of tabs across the top. one of those drop down menu tabs is "Show Entry", select "Make an Entry, and agree to the terms in the box at the bottom.

That will take you to a "Find a Dog" page. Enter your dog's AKC Registration number and your dog should come up, if not, or your dog has never been entered in a show before and doesn't show up, the next page will ask you to "add a new dog". Enter all of the information, you will need his AKC Number, Registered names of his parents, birthdate, gender, breed, ownership, your name and address. Once you have entered a show, it will be much easier next time, because all of his information will be saved there.

Select "Continue", and that will take you to the page "Select Show Range". In your case you will select "Obedience/Rally" in the top box, then the closing date ranges are in the second box. Then you select based on closing date of the show you want to enter. Now I am this far, I see that October 21st is too far away to enter yet, the latest closing date it will search for, is for shows closing October 18th. So you need to wait a week, and enter then. Its only this confusing the first time. :-)

. -screen-shot-2015-09-17-11-18-24-pm-jpg

OR
    You could look at the premium PDF, and just select and print the page that has the entry form, fill it out and snail mail it in.

Please let me know if you need more help! PM me.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (09-18-2015), barry581 (09-18-2015)

First, thanks to all of you for the help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! I plan on doing two of the days, once I wade through the premium, I'll pick the ones that work best around my work schedule.

One question. We have a trial next Friday, assuming he qualifies, that will be his second leg. I'm thinking about entering one event, figuring that will be our third novice leg. So I think I should wait to enter the second trial in Salisbury, so I can enter advanced. Make sense???

You can do that or you can always transfer. I believe they allow that at your show.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

barry581 (09-18-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos