Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dog Fainting Test - Anyone Game to Try?

Watch what happens when dog owners pretend to faint - CNN Video

Have you seen this yet? Want to try and post your results? Please be sure you are in a safe place, for you and pup, if you try.

I have fallen when out skiing or snowshoeing and the dog, whichever one it was at the time, always thought it was some kind of game and came and jumped on me to play. If I hadn't gotten hurt in the fall (and I never was) the dog might very well have been the one to hurt me. I had to yell at Oban to stay away once when I slipped down an icy, snowy hillside and stopped just short of the open creek. I was afraid he'd knock me right into the icy water. So it will be interesting to see what he does if I fake it. As the video says, dogs know when we fake.

The link works but there is a commercial first.

I saw that! I thought it was funny how all the dogs reacted, like "huh...oh well...see ya!"

Out on a jog with Sam and a friend I tripped on a curb and really hurt myself bad. I was swearing up a storm and felt sick, it hurt so bad! Sam just jumped all over me like it was a game, but you could tell that he was stressed (he stresses up). I have no doubt that my dogs would not take off if I fainted. If I faked it, they'd probably just jump on me, paw me, lick me, etc.

Senior Dog
    Can’t remember ever hurting myself around Chloe, but one time when Scully was probably about 2, and our only dog, I fell off a ladder while cleaning windows in the back of the house. I wasn’t actually hurt but did knock the wind out of myself and was laying there unable to move for a couple minutes. She came running up, sniffed me head to toe and gave me a look like “You’re fine” and wandered away. I found it strangely comforting, LOL, and she was right - I was fine.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

I do remember a time with Teddy, the family dog when I was a child. Teddy who could disappear from our backyard in the blink of an eye. I over did it sunbathing (stupid 17 year old) one day and the next felt sick and woozy. And cold, funny how I felt so cold. So I took a book to sit outside at the picnic table in the sun, to warm up. I let Teddy loose to be with me. I fainted and went over backwards off the seat onto grass with my legs up on the seat. When I came to Teddy was licking my face. I was absolutely amazed he hadn't seized the opportunity to high tail if off on a jaunt and very relieved as if he had I was in no shape to go looking for him. For his reward the poor dog got tied up again and I went inside to be sick.

Senior Dog
    I walk in the park at daybreak every morning. A few years ago, I came upon an older friend of mine lying in the middle of the path with her two Bichons close by (but not really paying any attention to her). When I got close enough to see for sure that the person was Gloria, I started calling her as I hurried my pace. She was a good bit over the age of 70 at the time and I was afraid that she'd had a stroke or heart attack. Well...

She heard me and got up laughing. She said she just wanted to see what her dogs would do if they sensed that she was in trouble. I guess the dogs didn't sense that there was anything wrong...but the danged woman nearly gave ME a heart attack.

For myself, I'm pretty sure Danny would just ignore me since I'm on the floor, playing with him, all the time anyhow. Not sure about Sunnie. I have seen her react in a "help is on the way" manner, though, every time she hears a child crying.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

monsterpup (10-14-2015)

Well, it did happen to me one time. Took Archie to the local park with a lake with two small bridges which were completely iced over. Almost made it, slipped and fell, and Archie's nose was in my face, licking me. He stayed close until I got up and then was anxious to continue his walk.

A while back Archie and I visited our local fire house. Wondered what their procedure was in case they had to break in (me thinking I had fallen but could not get to the door; obviously could get to a phone, LOL). They would attempt to calm the dogs but if one was protective, they would call AC for help.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I think this calls for an experiment. More to follow!

One evening I was taking our 2 bullmastiffs to the vet and had my 2 young kids with me, one of whom I had to carry. I had worked all day, it was pretty dark and one of the dogs, Jack, jumped out of the back of the van and took off down the road. I ran after him, yelling like a crazy person, carrying my younger kiddo, and tripped over this concrete barrier thing they put at the top end of parking spaces. I didn't see the barrier at all and went down, holding the baby. Happily, Jack came back to me and seemed concerned enough not to try to run off again. Baby was fine, dogs were fine, I looked like I'd been through a shredder. That was a long night but at least Jack came back.

I haven't had the occasion to see what Chase and Lark would do. I know they act crazy if I just lie down on the ground. I'm not sure I want to stage a convincing enough looking accident to see what they'd do!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

When I had my back surgery Maxx was all over me when I came home from the hospital. Not his normal, "I am so glad you're home" greeting but what appeared to be real concern. He did not leave except to potty for weeks while I recovered. Chris would try to take him for his normal long walk and he would have no part of it, he refused to go.

One of my previous Labs took off on one of the retractable type leashes, breaking the leash and causing a fall that broke my ankle. He thought it was a game at first until he realized I was hurt. When someone finally came by I had to send them to my house for help because he would not let them near me.

Emma is a natural born worrier and even fake crying alarms her. If someone really got hurt while alone with her I fear she would work herself in to a full blown panic.

I will have to try the fake fainting to see the reaction I get.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Real Retriever
    I once put my foot through a weak spot in our deck. The only thing Sprockette did was come over to me like, " hey why is your leg down there?" She didn't seem too concerned...

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos