Puppy

Brody after elbow surgery

Hi everyone,

So it's been 6 days since Brody's arthoscopy surgery. He is in a cage from about 10:30pm till 6:00am we carry him outside to go to the toilet (on a leash) and then he's back in the cage from 6:10am to 4:00pm. I know it's a very long time for him to be in a cage and omg do I feel bad about it. My partner and I both work all day, so does my dad, my mum would not in a million years be able to lift 30kgs. He's stopped eating in the morning, I'm thinking it's because he knows he won't be able to go to the toilet till 4pm. After 4pm, we leave him out of the cage till we go to bed but we're all in one room. He tripped over once and jumped on the couch twice, I hope this won't affect his recovery?

He's still limping. Is this ok? How long after surgery is limping prominent?

He's taking his stitches out next Friday (13th June). 4 weeks after the stitches are out, I take him back to see when we can start physical therapy and exercise. From what I've read on this forum, most people start exercise and physical therapy a lot sooner then 6 weeks from surgery. Anyway, I'm more then happy to do whatever the vet if it'll make him stop limping. I'm just worried that he's still limping after surgery. He gets anti inflam tablets in the morning and that's all for medication.

The pain meds may be upsetting his tummy. Try giving a Pepcid an hour before the pain meds. Poor guy, I don't know anything about the rehab but I seem to think it starts before 6 weeks. Hopefully someone with real knowledge will help you. Good thoughts for a speedy recovery.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Chili started rehab the 1st week after surgery and I stopped pain meds after about 4 days. Chili was "caged" in the living room during the day and his crate at night. part of my sugery costs included free follow up with Doc. I would take Brody back to surgeon and get their opinion/reassurance. It sounds like you are doing everything right. also to note, chili didnt have any of that internal ligaments cut on, it was all removal of flaps/bone chips/and smoothing of rough edges. so what procedure actually got doe could have a lot to do with different recoveries.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

4. The Following User Says Thank You to voodoo For This Useful Post:

sunburn (06-05-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos