Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pit attack update

Im not sure if the vet missed something but Molly will barely let me touch her ear. There is scabbing on the inside and out side of her ear and is highly sensitive to me wanting to see. makes me worried that it might be infected. Its not small either. Im going to have to take her back to the vet tomorrow.

Other concern is that Molly absoultly loves kids and would normaly go wrap her hed on their necks like a hug. On wed a 1 yr ols came to pet her and she was fine until he went to try and hug her around the neck. She did not snap but got very scared and gave a low growl. I moved her and put her back in a sit but I did not repramramand her. I hope that was the right response on my behalf Ill shake it off before we get there.

I am a bit nervous about class this afternoon.

Maybe her response to the child was because of her ear. I'd give her the benefit of the doubt on this until her ear is better and be very careful around little kids.

I prefer little kids not try to hug my dogs around the neck anyway- I don't really think the dogs understand hugs the way humans do. If it's my child/well known relative and my dogs, that's slightly different. I don't like for little kids to have their faces right down near my dogs' faces even thought they're labs, even though they've never shown an issue with that, I just remember that they're dogs first, not stuffed animals, and you just never know.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (09-20-2015), barry581 (09-20-2015), Jollymolly (09-20-2015), Labradorks (09-20-2015), Maxx&Emma (09-20-2015), Mudlark (09-20-2015), POPTOP (09-20-2015), Snowshoe (09-20-2015), stella3 (09-20-2015), Sue (09-20-2015)

I'd definitely would get her to the vet, ear injuries like that can be tough to get healed up, better to get it before it gets infected. Hope it's not to bad and she heals up quick!

I agree with smartrock 100%. When I have little kids wanting to pet the dogs, I always get down to their level so I'm right there with them as they approach the dogs. I'll let them pet, but no hugging. Little kids can move very quickly and be unpredictable and I think this makes some dog a bit nervous.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (09-20-2015)

Hope there is nothing serious with her ear.

I too totally agree with Smartrock. Even with Bandit who was totally into kids, I would not let little ones hug his neck or get into his face. A "hug" would consist of laying a cheek on his back while petting, no wrapping arms around his belly.

My younger GS loves to pet Mardi but he approaches face to face and I've warned him several times. Last time he came over he was not allowed to pet Mardi because he approached her the same way. He was so upset with me but it made an impression and I think he will remember next time.

Just last night saw a program about a little dog that got attacked by a larger dog. The vet found a wound under the skin, an actual rip in the muscle, and no wound on the skin at all. It can happen.

Sending good thoughts.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

7. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (09-20-2015)

Try not to be nervous, Molly needs to go back to class. I know, easy to say, hard to do. I bet her ear is behind the episode with the child too. Even after the ear heals up you will need to be careful, it might not hurt any more but expectation of possible hurt is sometimes worse than real hurt.

Just last night saw a program about a little dog that got attacked by a larger dog. The vet found a wound under the skin, an actual rip in the muscle, and no wound on the skin at all. It can happen.
    I worked in the ski industry and that sounds like something we heard of with downhill ski accidents. A person would fall, get up, keep skiing and not till they stopped or even got home did they realize their leg was slashed by the sharp edge of the ski. Yet there would be no apparent damage to the pants leg.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (09-20-2015)

We both did awesome in class today

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jollymolly For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (09-20-2015), barry581 (09-20-2015), Blackboy98 (09-22-2015), ChoppersDad (09-21-2015), Maxx&Emma (09-22-2015), MikeLynn (09-20-2015), POPTOP (09-21-2015), Scoutpout (09-20-2015), smartrock (09-20-2015), Snowshoe (09-20-2015)

I'm so glad class went well. Hope that the vet figures out her ear situation.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (09-21-2015)

Glad to read that Molly is getting over being attacked.

That is great news! Did the vet figure out what was going on with her ear?
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Her ear is okay just major scabin. Her blood work was clean so no infections. Really happy she is okay.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jollymolly For This Useful Post:

ChoppersDad (09-22-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos