Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Chopper's Weight

I switched Chopper to adult dog food at about 10 months old. He has been eating Wellness Core grain free puppy/dog food since he was a little puppy. He weighed about 63 lbs at 10 months old. Ever since I switched him to adult dog food he hasn't gained a single pound. He is almost 14 months old. I am feeding him 3 cups per day. I tried 4 cups per day a while back, but it made his poop soft. Therefore, I cut his food intake back to 3 cups per day. He gets walked three times a day religiously. He also gets plenty of off leash time swimming and fetching tennis balls/bumpers.

Chopper still hasn't been neutered. Will his metabolism slow down when he gets neutered? Has he reached his full growth potential? Does he need more calories? I'm not too worried about it, but I would've thought he would continue to add weight the last several months. Here's a few recent pictures.

He definitely doesn't look over or underweight. He's probably filling out and will continue to do so. If you are concerned you could try beefing up his protein either with a different food or adding a canned topper. Some dogs do better with higher protein and it sounds like he gets a lot of exercise. What are his parents like?

Senior Dog
    I agree - he looks good ... not too skinny but not too heavy. He will probably fill out a bit more but it might be a slow process. I think adding some protein to his food (either with a canned topper, or some of whatever meat you are having for dinner, an egg, etc.) wouldn’t be a bad idea.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

I think he looks good for his age, and I still think he looks a bit immature. Bruce really started to body up and fill in at about 14-15 months. He had held at 73 pounds from 10-14 months old, he's now around 80. His head has also become much more masculine in that time period. His sires breeder to me it take about 3 years for him to fully mature.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

ChoppersDad (09-21-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    What are his parents like?
    Here is a picture of Chopper's Sire. He is definitely not skinny.

I'm guessing his dad is over three in that photo? And he's probably in "show weight". He might also be heavily in coat. Then you also have to think about Mom and the types of pups she throws. He's still relatively young. You'll be shocked by how much he fills out by the time he's around three.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

ChoppersDad (09-24-2015)

Best Friend Retriever Gibbysmom's Avatar
    He is very nice looking, such a shiny coat. Weight looks good.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gibbysmom For This Useful Post:

ChoppersDad (09-22-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    I'm guessing his dad is over three in that photo? And he's probably in "show weight". He might also be heavily in coat. Then you also have to think about Mom and the types of pups she throws. He's still relatively young. You'll be shocked by how much he fills out by the time he's around three.
    Nice guess. His dad is around three years old in the picture. I guess I'll give the Wellness 95% Can Dog Food topper a try. It looks like it is high in protein. Hopefully, his tummy agrees with it. Thank you for your help once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbysmom View Post
    He is very nice looking, such a shiny coat. Weight looks good.
    Thank you. The salmon oil in the Wellness Core dry food seems to be really help with his shiny coat.

He will definitely fill out more. You have to give some of these lines, especially the males, time. Some boys don't look their best until 3 or 4. If you do decide to neuter, it does make them more prone to pack on pounds more easily.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

ChoppersDad (09-22-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos