Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you say when people sneeze?

I always say "Bless you" the first time, "Ouch" the second time and "Holy cow!" or "Are you OK?" the third time.

You?

Nothing, I just get away from them. Lol

I usually wait a few seconds to see if it's one sneeze or a couple and then say whatever I'm going to say. Often what I'd like to say is more along the lines of, "Oh for heaven's sake, could you please cover your mouth and nose?!?!"
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

I've always used gesundheit. This got me wondering where is originated so I looked it up.

In German, Gesundheit (meaning "Good health to you") is a common traditional response to a sneeze, but it is also used in English-speaking countries. This reply stems from the belief in olden times, that a sneeze is precursory to a serious illness. Like the belief from the Middle Ages, when it was believed that when one sneezed, the heart stops, the soul left the body and could be snatched by an evil spirit. So, in English speaking countries, the German word "Gesundheit" (which means health) is occasionally said after a sneeze instead of "bless you."
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I say Geshundheit or Bless You, but after the second or third sneeze as they most often come in rapid succession. In fact I, and I notice others as well, usually wait to see which sneeze will be the last one. In class the other day a lady sneezed twice and our teacher asked her, "Only two?" Teacher said she always sneezed three times, herself.

Depends who it is.

Normal people I don't really say anything. Just ignore it.

Family, bless you.

Hemi, Oh my goodness, thats a big sneeze come here let me give you kisses. In turn when I sneeze Hemi comes running to give me kisses. One day when my sister was watching Hemi she asked me what the hell I taught him about sneezing? I laughed, cause sure enough Hemi was playing on the other side of the room and she sneezed he came running to get on her lap to give her kisses.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

MikeLynn (09-24-2015)

Hemi's such a sweetie.

Oh, we used to have a saying at work, three sneezes in a row, the real thing not joking, and you get to go home, LOL.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Hemi, Oh my goodness, thats a big sneeze come here let me give you kisses. In turn when I sneeze Hemi comes running to give me kisses. One day when my sister was watching Hemi she asked me what the hell I taught him about sneezing? I laughed, cause sure enough Hemi was playing on the other side of the room and she sneezed he came running to get on her lap to give her kisses.
    Oh my gosh, Hemi is quite the character, but I guess he learned it all from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post

One day when my sister was watching Hemi she asked me what the hell I taught him about sneezing? I laughed, cause sure enough Hemi was playing on the other side of the room and she sneezed he came running to get on her lap to give her kisses.
    You're saving on Kleenex?

Sometimes I say 'Bless you'. Sometimes 'Geshundeit'. Sometimes 'Salud' (which, strictly speaking, should only be said after the first sneeze).

When I sneeze I might say 'Think I blew my brains out on that one'.
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos