Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weaves!

Weaves!

We are making leaps in the weaving these last few months! We were working 2x2 slightly offset and closing them. Last week we were able to use set them straight. followed up with another practice and she seemed to have 6 straight weaves down.

yesterday she was doing 6 pretty solid still so I was curious and brought out another set of six weaves (but with space between to reward between sets). by the end of practice I had the two sets of six weaves in a line together (as they are supposed to be) and she was weaving back and forth with me.

She is funny to watch. I totally back up and let her do her thing after sending her thru. You can see her brain working HARD the entire time as she works thru each weave. She takes it very seriously but seems to enjoy it (if we walk near them she will be doing them on her own).

Go penny!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (09-21-2015)

Great job! Sounds like fun. I think it would be a fun thing for Lark but we had so many months when she was young thinking she had elbow dysplasia. Even once the ortho vet said she no longer saw any evidence of problems on x-ray, I still didn't want to have her putting that sort of lateral stress on her elbow joints. Chase would be like a tank going through the weaves. Maybe I could set up a homemade run for the dogs to play around in, just skipping the weave poles.

I have to admit that when I saw the title of your thread, "weaves", my first thought was hair, not agility and I had an instant of wondering what a hair weave had to do with dogs! I guess I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning!

House Broken
    Very fun! I used 2x2 method this time around with my young guy, I was really happy with it. I also worked all sorts of crazy entrances with just the first 2 poles....things came together VERY quickly! Sounds like you guys are on the right track!

the biggest thing for us has been going from practice 1x a week to 2-3x a week. hard to make progress when you do it so few times. especially as each session has to be fairly short.

2x2 worked wonderfully for us overall. but - still early says haha.

weaves are not the flashiest obstacles but one of my favorites to watch!

House Broken
    Go Penny & Tanya!! I don't know much about agility at all, but it sure is fun to watch! Weaves might be one of my favorite things to watch in agility too.

Way to go! Great progress.

Even as a senior, Melody did the weaves very well, abet slowly, especially with a treat in front of her nose. She seemed to get the concept quickly. We used it for exercise.

Archie, he lifts is leg on a pole and walks away, LOL.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Archie, he lifts is leg on a pole and walks away, LOL.
    AHAHAHAH! omg! though you can't really blame a dog from thinking that's the best option

I did agility with a past foster years ago (cedar a shep mix, or at least our best guess). the bugger would pee IN/ON THE TUNNEL. no joke. it was pretty bad LOL! the teacher was like "call him fast fast fast" to get him in and out of there as quickly as possible

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (09-21-2015)

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    AHAHAHAH! omg! though you can't really blame a dog from thinking that's the best option

I did agility with a past foster years ago (cedar a shep mix, or at least our best guess). the bugger would pee IN/ON THE TUNNEL. no joke. it was pretty bad LOL! the teacher was like "call him fast fast fast" to get him in and out of there as quickly as possible
    Oh goodness! The first time I had joined this board you were fostering Cedar! He was so handsome. You inspired me to foster as I knew very little about it back then Do you get updates on Cedar?

Quote Originally Posted by K10 View Post
    Oh goodness! The first time I had joined this board you were fostering Cedar! He was so handsome. You inspired me to foster as I knew very little about it back then Do you get updates on Cedar?
    they sent photo updates every few months he spends the summer at the cottage. he's very lucky and very loved

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    they sent photo updates every few months he spends the summer at the cottage. he's very lucky and very loved
    Aww! Love it!!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos