Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Visit

Doctor Visit

Not want I wanted to hear. I've been having a lot of right hip pain. Been trying to ignore it but the last two days have been really difficult. Went to the ortho and the hip is trashed. The doctor tried to be diplomatic, but in truth it's worn out with activity and age. Fortunately, the left hip looks great. Total hip replacement.

Have not set up the date yet, wanted to discuss it with DH. So much is coming up, grans birthdays, Halloween, Thanksgiving, GS's basic training graduation, UGH. DH knows what I've been going through and is urging me to get it done.

Newer type of surgery approaches from the front of the hip instead of cutting all the muscles on the back/side. Two days in the hospital and doctor expects me to be doing great in two weeks. At the one month mark I should be totally healed and back to normal. I just want the pain gone.

Certainly not what I wanted to hear. It sucks getting old.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

oh man...but i like that new surgery info, wow, pain relief and back to normal inside of a month! when is GS's graduation again? do you have time (and can they get you fit in-up here thats the biggest hurdle) before his graduation to get it done and get mostly back to normal?
    i agree with your DH, you can't keep going thru that pain, it does horrible things to the rest of your body never mind your mind!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (09-24-2015)

Crapola, what crummy news. Do you need dental work too, from gritting your teeth through pain? Your prognosis sounds very good though. Still, wish you didn't need this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (09-24-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutpout View Post
    oh man...but i like that new surgery info, wow, pain relief and back to normal inside of a month! when is GS's graduation again? do you have time (and can they get you fit in-up here thats the biggest hurdle) before his graduation to get it done and get mostly back to normal?
    i agree with your DH, you can't keep going thru that pain, it does horrible things to the rest of your body never mind your mind!
    Mentioned to the doctor about GS graduation, which is the end of November. (He's doing basic and then straight into AIT which makes his graduation later than just basic). If I can get the surgery scheduled quickly, doctor said there is no problem with me being able to go.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Crapola, what crummy news. Do you need dental work too, from gritting your teeth through pain? Your prognosis sounds very good though. Still, wish you didn't need this.
    Funny thing is, I have to have a dental clearance before surgery. The biggest hiccup to hip surgery is chance of infection (although doc said 98% have no problem). He wants any source of infection, to be eliminated including having a dental checkup.

Yes, I have been clenching my teeth at night. Noticed it several weeks ago. Did not really relate it to the pain but might be.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Oh that is not good news. I hope you can get help sooner versus later. That the recovery is as fast as they say.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jollymolly For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (09-24-2015)

I'm so sorry. My MIL broke her hip and had to have a replacement while she had Alzheimers. She was up and around very soon after surgery. They really have made huge strides.

Is the dental clearance about bacteria? My husband has a titanium rod in his leg and has to take massive antibiotics before a cleaning because bacteria collects on metal and can become toxic. Best to have the body's natural defenses take care of it first. Dollars to donuts though you'll have to take antibiotics before cleanings later.

All good thoughts.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (09-24-2015)

That is a quick recovery! My mom had a hip replacement 10 years ago, it was not that quick, medical advancement is nothing short of amazing! Sending good thoughts for many pain free days in the future.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (09-24-2015)

Senior Dog
    Oh, Fran! I'm glad the surgery has improved but am sorry to hear you'll need it. Wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (09-24-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by janedoe View Post
    I'm so sorry. My MIL broke her hip and had to have a replacement while she had Alzheimers. She was up and around very soon after surgery. They really have made huge strides.

Is the dental clearance about bacteria? My husband has a titanium rod in his leg and has to take massive antibiotics before a cleaning because bacteria collects on metal and can become toxic. Best to have the body's natural defenses take care of it first. Dollars to donuts though you'll have to take antibiotics before cleanings later.

All good thoughts.
    Yes, about bacteria. I'll have to ask about future work.

The doctor has partnered with a group that does presurgical teaching session, setting up home nursing and home physical therapy if needed. I'll ask the teacher about future use of antibiotics before dental work.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos