Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gross ears

Gross ears

This is the first year I've had to deal with gross ear stuff. It started in the spring so I'm pretty sure it's seasonal allergies. I just cleaned Daisy's ears a week or two ago and it was already gross again. My brother's lab was obsessively licking one of daisy's ears and sure enough that one was really gross. Her other ear is always clean and this one gets funky so fast. It took me 5 rinses to get it clean.
    She has been swimming in creeks on some hikes lately but shouldn't both ears be bad?
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    —Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

Not necessarily. Mine have always had one bad ear with food and seasonal allergies. Sometimes two, but one being way worse than the other.

If the other dog is licking it, that makes it worse, too (wet, warm environment).

When Maxx's ear got like that it was a nasty yeast infection. You may want to see the vet.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (09-24-2015)

Try Zymox Otic with hydrocortisone. If it clears up, great. It's probably a one shot deal. If it comes back, you may need antibiotics. Definitely do not let any other dog lick it. Keep the area as dry as possible even if that's a question of using gauze or a cotton swab (not a q tip) to take out the moisture.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

WhoopsaDaisy (09-24-2015)

After a whole summer of bad ears they might be infected now and you need a Vet. Ears can get different bacteria in them and what works on one will not work on another type of bacteria. The more you try self treating the more you can actually irritate that sensitive area and end up making it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    After a whole summer of bad ears they might be infected now and you need a Vet. Ears can get different bacteria in them and what works on one will not work on another type of bacteria. The more you try self treating the more you can actually irritate that sensitive area and end up making it worse.
    I have done a round of antibiotics this summer and it seemed cleared up until recently. If not, I will definitely see a vet. It's about time for the annual heartworm blood test anyway.

Ear issues can be a real headache! I've had a couple dog in the past with bad yeast problems. I've used the purple ear wash solution with good results. Ear solution

I also use swimmers ear drops when the dogs have been swimming, followed by the malaseb ear wash. I asked the vet about using the swimmers ear drops before using them, and he said no problem.

Cabo has an issue with his left ear getting gross. His right ear is always perfectly clean, but his left ear will periodically get really funky. I keep Momatemax from the vet on hand and will put that in there for a few days to a week when it gets bad. And at least once a week I clean it with K9 Liquid Health Ear Cleaner (it is the purple potion everyone used to talk about, and it has Colloidal Silver in it).

I would say vet visit as that's typically a sign something is up.

Also a lot of us, myself included have noticed gunky ears being directly related to food. Some food really cause gunky ears. When Hemi eat California natural I will not need to clean his ear at all, never. He can swim all he wants and not an issue at all. He is totally fine. When I try other foods he can be gunky every 2 weeks even in the middle of winter. Fromm keeps his ears clean but he can get ear infections from swimming.

Hemi got an ear infection this year, bacterial and yeast from all his swimming. The vet had a new stuff I never seen before. The Vet squirts it in at the office, Hemi's ears look wet inside for about a week, and no swimming for 2 weeks and ear infections all gone. No follow up treatments or anything and I don't have to chase him down trying to put stuff in his ears.

Quote Originally Posted by janedoe View Post
    Try Zymox Otic with hydrocortisone. If it clears up, great. It's probably a one shot deal. If it comes back, you may need antibiotics. Definitely do not let any other dog lick it. Keep the area as dry as possible even if that's a question of using gauze or a cotton swab (not a q tip) to take out the moisture.
    Thanks, I ordered this. Hopefully it keeps her ears clean! I don't let Bruno lick her ears - I was just over visiting at their house and noticed he was trying to over and over again!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos