House Broken

Does my dog get ill too often?

We got our puppy since early January this year and she is 10-month now. So far she got diarrhea twice, one in June and one in August. Also she had kennel cough in July. Two days ago, I found the inner side of one of her back paw pad was swollen and it did not get better. Probably there is a foreign body in it. I do not know yet. We will go to see the vet tomorrow. I feel that we see the vet too often, almost every month. From January to April, we took her to our vet to get puppy vaccine. Then from June to now, we saw vet because of the diarrhea, kennel cough... Does my dog get ill too often? I care about her health at the highest priority. I hope she is a healthy girl and can have a long life to accompany us. Now I just feel bad because of these illnesses and the antibiotics she had taken.

Puppies get into all sorts of things that can cause diarrhea, that doesnt mean she is unhealthy at all. I came home from work when Zoey was about 9 months old to diarrhea sprayed all over her crate, the carpet, the curtains, it was quite a scene. I generally dont go to the vet for diarrhea until i determine i cant control it with fasting for a few meals and a bland diet. You can also ask your vet about giving her pepto. I would only use an antibiotic like metro as a last resort for diarrhea. As for kennel cough, even the healthiest dog can get it if they are exposed to it.

I hope her little foot is ok

I thought my puppies' first years involved a lot of vet trips also. Aside from their normal vaccines, Chase ate a sock and had surgery for an obstruction. He got numerous pustules or cysts, between his toes, around his lips, on his muzzle. I was afraid he had an immune deficiency. Lark had a few bouts of diarrhea and got 3 courses of antibiotics, was limping on one front leg necessitating x-rays and visits to an orthopedic vet, developed an obstruction from eating bark or sticks. Once we hit the one year mark with each of them, things seemed to level out and now they rarely require a trip to the vet except for shots. Chase is 9 years old and Lark is 2 1/2. I thought the first year was the most challenging so hopefully it will soon seem easier with Dudu also.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

I would say Bruce and Sophie had about the same amount of issues over their first year.

Yeah first year this is pretty normal. When I talked to my vet on the first vet visit they said get insurance. With shots and puppy issues and so on the insurance company paid me way more than I paid them the first year.

I go to the vet all. the. time.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

House Broken
    Thank you all for sharing your experience. Because I am a first-time dog owner, I get worried about anything very easily. But hearing your stories made me relived a lot.

We just came back from the vet visit this morning. It seemed she stepped on a bee sting or something and there is a small puncture between her pads. And the skin is all red down there. She got an injection (dexamethasone) to treat the inflammation and the vet asked us to apply NeoPredef powder on that red spot a few times a day. I kind of asked if we had to have the injection. But the answer was yes because the weekend is coming. Then I feel bad about one more injection now. My husband said injection is even worse than taking antibiotics because the internal organs have to metabolize it. I just hope the injection will not give too much burden to her young internal organs.
    Last edited by greagre; 09-25-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos