Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

Is it true about lab boys???

OK this is one for the breeders amongst you rather than the pet owners - is it true that all lab males are a pain with bitches or is this a rumour along the lines of chocolates being harder to train (that's certainly not true!) I must admit those that Ihave boarded have been, but I just put that down to them being pets.

Now I have a lab boy amongst the clan and everyone, including lab folk, tell me they are much harder to keep happily with bitches than every other breed. So far I've just taken this with a pinch of salt - but today met an "ex" stud dog who had become ex because he was making the breeders life a misery!

So - are they humpers - or is it just an old wives' tale??

Senior Dog
    I don’t think so!

Mulder was a humper, but not specifically with intact girls, so I don’t think it was particularly due to him being an intact male. That’s just how he was (meaning I don’t think it was particularly sexual with him). I kept him as my only male with between 1-3 bitches for 15 years with no problems. It all comes down to training. Our Obedience training center encourages to people to bring their in season bitches to class just so that the intact males can learn to control themselves and continue to work despite the presence of an enticing girl in the vicinity. He would get distracted, sure, but we worked through it - and worked through it easier than the males of some other breeds that were there. When one of the girls was in season, there were about 3 days (probably when she was most fertile) where I had to either crate him or put him in an ex-pen to keep him from bothering her, but he never tried to escape or anything.

I know several breeders who have multiple males and females without issue (the puppies’ father’s breeder comes to mind). I suspect most of the people who seem to have problems are those who didn’t bother to properly train the dog in the first place and then had trouble with a large, strong, dog who never learned to listen who was faced with huge temptation. Just because the dogs aren’t pets, doesn’t mean they are properly trained. I’ve seen tons of conformation dogs at shows that were no where near as well-behaved and trained as I would like, but since this is usually an amiable breed it doesn’t usually cause that many problems when (for example) they drag their owner across the field to see another dog so people don’t always put the effort into training them as they should.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Mudlark (10-01-2015)

In general, I've had a dog and a bitch at the same time for most of the last 30 years. 3 out of 5 of the dogs were intact, and the bitches were spayed. The intact dogs were no harder to manage than the neutered dogs. Bruce, my current dog, went through a humping phase at about 9 months. I corrected him with a "no-hump" and within a month or so, no humping.

I don't think it's any harder to manage an intact dog than a neutered dog. If you teach them manners, you should be ok.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Mudlark (10-01-2015)

My Sam, now almost 9 yrs old, lives w/ my co-owner who has several intact bitches of a different breed and he's never been a problem. And he's chocolate too.... I've even had him here when I've had girls in season and he was great. I have also had a couple of my black boys here and the one was fine, the other (very young still) stopped eating if there was a girl in season, and no, I'd not trust him to be alone w/ the girls but he was fine crated or vice versa. I have a friend w/ Goldens and it's a darned howl-fest when she has girls in season. I could not handle that!

All the boys have been fine if no girls are in season and I can run them all together.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

Mudlark (10-01-2015)

I'm not a breeder but my boy is intact, nearly 8 years old and he certainly is not a humper. Unless you consider his Poppa Bear with whom he is free to consort however he pleases. We have met a nitwit walking her in season bitch off leash and I did have to drag him away and leash him. But he's never tried to hump anything other than Poppa. I assume your concern is when the bitch is in heat. There have been in season bitches at training (where they were encouraged so we could ALL learn how our dog would react and learn to control him or her or it) and at trials. The bitches are under control in those situations so it's not the same as being loose or living together. We only have one dog though, but maybe this helps a bit.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Mudlark (10-01-2015)

House Broken
    Thanks, it's nice to hear that I'm hopefully not in for a stresshead lad every time one of the girls comes in! It's just so funny that so many people kept telling me what a problem labrador dogs are - and when I said I'd never had a problem before - they would chuckle evilly and say, ah, but now you have labs!!

I've had more boys than girls and I find them just about the same in keeping them. Each have issues. I love my boys. I would have ALL boys if I never wanted to breed a litter again.

I also have had all chocolate up until now. They have multiple show and performance titles, so no truth to them being harder to train or stupid.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Mudlark (10-01-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Mudlark View Post
    Thanks, it's nice to hear that I'm hopefully not in for a stresshead lad every time one of the girls comes in! It's just so funny that so many people kept telling me what a problem labrador dogs are - and when I said I'd never had a problem before - they would chuckle evilly and say, ah, but now you have labs!!
    What breed did you have before Labs? Why did you switch breeds? Just curious.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Mudlark (10-01-2015)

It depends on the dog and, to some extent, the owner.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Mudlark (10-01-2015)

Maverick is a happy humper. Male or female makes no difference. He WILL NOT try it with older dogs, smaller dogs, or adult dogs he does not know. Basically, he only does it to dogs about his own age and size. We don't let him and try to stop the behavior by distracting before it starts. As far as trainibility, you'll have slower to pick up and super smart ones in each color. Maverick is easy to train and incredibly smart.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Meeps83 For This Useful Post:

Mudlark (10-01-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos