Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A good day's work

My 2 youngest put in a rather long day of work yesterday at the kind of local (90 miles away) obed trials. It was a double obed/ rally trial on Friday, so I decided to enter both on that day and again on Sunday-- and take Sat (today) off for rest. We (Kanzi and I, that is, Ruby wasn't born yet) had done all 3 days last year and that was pretty hard on all of us.

Talk about ring conflicts though! Kanzi was entered in both Rally Excellent and Novice Obed and those ring times were 830am and 845am, so I asked the Obed judge if Kanzi could go in his ring last after we did our Rally Exc. Not a problem. I also had to alert him to the fact that our superintendent had her breed incorrect..... this all happened last year when she was 6mos old, and though I had it "fixed" at that show, Onofrio never bothered to fix it in their database so it listed her as a GOLDEN again! ARghhh. Oh well, it's given a few folks a laugh when I tell them she's my short coated black Golden Retriever. At least they got Ruby's breed correct (I wondered if she'd be a Chessie or something).

First accomplishment of the day was a 96 score in Rally Excellent, good for the Blue (it may have been based on our time if I remember right--- we had to run from that ring to Obed as they were waiting for us by then, so I asked another pup owner go in for ribbons for me). That was for title too! Whew. She scared me at first since just as we were walking into the ring a gaggle of geese flew over and her nose went straight up until they passed... and not only that but we had a mucky little ditch behind us w/ ducks and it smelled awful back there (like septic water). Fortunately other than one "icky" spot on the course where a doggy must have pottied in the past day or so, she did quite well. Kanzi is VERY smell sensitive/ offended, so I did not bother to repeat the exercise as I knew it'd be worse the 2nd time.

So onto obedience. We had probably the toughest obed judge in the NW, but one thing about it, he scores everyone consistently so it's really not a problem w/ me. Kanzi's heeling was nice!!! We had decently straight sits (she likes to sit crooked at times to see my face. We ended up w/ a 190.5, good for 2nd place. My friend w/ a very nice Aussie beat us w/ her score of 195-- which she ended up after a run off against a UDX dog-- with the HIT! Whoo hoo!

Then came Ruby's turn in Rally Novice. LOL.... not the most stellar performance but not terrible for a 7.5 mo old either. She did far better at 6mos (got a 95 at the lab specialty)! She ended up w/ a 83, no placement, but good for our 2nd Q. She seemed a bit tired so probably in another growth spurt, so I decided I'd evaluate her later to decide if we'd run the afternoon trial or not. She was pooped by afternoon, so I scratched her.

I also scratched Kanzi from Rally Exc for the afternoon trial so I could concentrate on obed. Again, very nice heeling though I had a glitch w/ my footwork on the initial halt for the Fig 8 and then the recall was done so she was facing the steward's table and was "smiling" at one of our friends at the table and missed my hand signal to finish, lol. We had a really nice judge from CO who told me after our individual exercises how pretty Kanzi's expression was. Sits and downs went flawlessly again, and we ended up being just 1 of 2 to qualify out of what was supposed to have been 12 starters. We ended up w/ a 190.0 for another 2nd place-- this time to a Weim w/ a 197 who was HIT. That was for our CD Title, so I can't complain w/ 3 scores all consistently 190.5, 190.5 and 190, especially w/a girl who just turned 18 mos!

We went ahead and moved up to Open A for Sunday since I find that a much more fun ring for the dog, and if the moons, stars and planets all align, she actually could qualify. The biggest issue is due to her age and the fact she's only jumped her height a couple times here at home, so we'll see how she manages there. I also entered her in Beg Nov B on Sunday since we had started that back in June at our local shows and we need one to finish that up as well. It'll work out nicely I think as that class should be just before our Open A class, so will be a nice warm up. Unfortunately Ruby's Rally Nov class, the BN and Open ring are all starting w/in a 40 min period of one another, so I am going to be running crazy again!!!!!

This was the 2 girls after our lab specialty in early Aug. Ruby is already a bit bigger than Kanzi now though, lol! Anne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_7224-jpg  
    Last edited by windycanyon; 09-26-2015 at 02:29 PM. Reason: attach pic
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Congrats and good luck tomorrow!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Busy day! Congratulations!
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I'm going to be in good company tomorrow. One of Kiku's 19 mo old boys will be in the breed ring, then over to Rally Nov B w/ Ruby and me, then in Beginner Nov B w/ Kanzi and me! And another Kiku pup finished her RN today w/ a 98 and will be moving up to Rally Adv tomorrow. I should have another of Kanzi's littermates in Rally Nov A (and maybe Beg Nov too) and one of Envy's sister is in Open B, I think. Always fun when we are trialing in the valley anymore as we get our pack all together!!!
    Hidden Content

Well done!

VEry good, a nice showing.

Senior Dog
    Congrats!
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

. duplicate
    Last edited by windycanyon; 09-28-2015 at 11:20 AM.
    Hidden Content

Well today was just WOW.

First, WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink (not yet 8 mos) finished her Rally Nov title w/ a 97. Kiku's boy Turbo edged us from placing based on time since our 3pts apparently were lost due to our "retry" of a station! Ackk!

Then off I raced to Beg Nov B w/ Kanzi to finish that one and it came down to just 2 of us qualifying--- Kiku's boy again and Kanzi, lol, only this time WE won by 1 pt w/ a 195 as I recall! That was good for $20!!! Woot woot!

Then it was time for our "Fun Match" (well not really... it was the Open A ring, but I refused to look at it too seriously w/ an 18mo old who had just jumped her height for the first time this week). We had a family from hell spectating on the far side. OMG, it really was THAT bad! Kids screeching, one twirling her sweater like she was tossing a duck at times, commentating on EVERY move Kanzi made in the ring. Then I guess once we were on the out of sight Stays, it got so bad one of the guys had to go over to the family to call interference (thankfully the father came in to knock things off). In the end......... Kanzi was the only Qualifier w/ a 183!!! Holy schamoly... Maybe this super moon thing really did have some influence but I can tell you, it was the craziest ring experience in Open I'd ever had! So, to tally things up, Kanzi is now WindyCanyon's Kanzi CD BN RE w/ one q toward CDX! Woohoo! oh and $40 richer since we won another $20 for the Open class. And won a cool T Shirt for High Labrador as well. I just kind of flew home w/ the kids today.

Hidden Content

Look at those proud pups! Sounds like an awesome day
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zd262 For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (09-28-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos