Training "Calm"?

Good blog post that I thought some folks her might find useful/interesting. I decided to share it here after reading this section: "If you really value a calm dog, I’m going to give you some advice. Pick your dog with care. Select for a dog or a breed that tends to be more relaxed. If you buy a working line Malinois or a hunting Labrador, it’s unrealistic to decide that you’re going to “make it” calm, especially as a youngster and if you don’t have the time to truly exhaust the brain and body. It is also unkind to mold dogs into what you want, without regard for who they are. Dogs come with innate temperaments, just like people. There is nothing wrong with a lively temperament! Don’t suck the personality out of your dog. Find ways to compromise so that everyone gets what they need."

That is a really interesting post! I think that I got so lucky with Bubba because even though he's from hunting lines, his mom has a very calm demeanor and they always donate at least one pup from her litters to service dog training. Bubba is a wild man outside and is so excited about life, but inside he just sleeps and lays around and cuddles. He's a totally different dog!

I was recently out at a trainer's place watching him train a couple dogs when this family came to pick up their setter who had been there a month. This dog was INSANE, I've literally never seen a dog so crazy. Bubba was tethered near her and I was actually a little worried about him because this dog was just non stop leaping and jumping and barking. The family was like "yeah we didn't really want a high strung hunting dog..." then how did you end up with this dog! Clearly they did not do their research on the breeder.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

I agree. A couple of our trainers have commented on what high energy Oban is. I have always responded that I don't think he has any more energy than Jet and certainly not our ESS, who could run circles around him. Instead of "having" more energy I think he "Lacks" the ability to calm himself and keep himself under control. Mind games help him and I think they are invaluable for an energetic, athletic dog who would just get fitter and fitter if exercise alone was used to achieve calm.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos